Disheartened

How involved are the daddies here in your LO’s day to day? Please describe. Post our first child i see the side of my husband that I do not like more apparently. He still sleeps till post noon everyday day including weekends. Otherwise on the phone or on the couch watching TV. No he does not do shift work - he is self-employed and his time is flexible. His thought is since we have a helper we can be hands off totally and involved only when needed. I totally disagree - we hired a helper as we need help with chores and LO since nobody can help us when we are working. But when we are not working we should be involved as much as possible. He also likes to do irritating stuff like feed our food to LO at dinner time knowing it will disrupt her eating her food during meals - by disrupt I mean LO will refuse to eat her food after etc. Even after telling him a million times not to do so he will still ask me can LO eat this or that (referring to our food). He also likes to react with big actions and sounds which freaks LO out. Kept telling him a million times not to do so as LO refused to go near him for fear of the reactions. He thinks it’s funny and just playing. I don’t know which part of it is not clear to him when he witness the effects himself of LO rejecting him till now at 18mths old!. So far only me and my helper are looking after my LO and for my husband his help is very minimal and more apparent only during my helper’s off days when he has to make milk, fill the bath water. I manage our helper, my LO’s needs at every stage I.e her toys, books, formula milk, clothes, diapers, vaccination, PD appts, parenting forums and tips etc. I feel very distant from him post the birth of our first child and kept thinking I married the wrong person and I don’t need him around if he’s not contributing. I can’t help this feeling. Appreciate any advise from mummies or daddies.

13 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I hear your desperation dear. Don't worry there are many more mothers out there that are experiencing the same. First you need to see the positive side of your husband. Its not because he does not love his child. He does...he helps take care of baby when helper is off. He could have gone out with friends (if no covid) if he really does not bother about his child and you. Try to lower your expectations...if you set your bar high you are bound to see his many follies. Get him more involved in your daily activities with baby...eg. instead of asking your helper...ask your husband lovingly if he could help change the diaper or feed baby...remember to keep your expectation low...if he does not put on the diaper the way you want to or even if its wrong...laugh it off as if he is being silly...if he feeds baby noisily...then make it into a funny moment so baby will laugh too instead of being afraid. Your child is feeling fear for his/her father because he/she can sense your unhappiness and disapproval. Just try one step at a time...understand your hubby he is probably feeling frustrated too because it seems everything he does is not upto your approval. I am sure when everyone stops imposing each others style of parenting...then things will take on a lighter note. There is no right or wrong way of parenting. We all manage the best we can and hope for the best. Don't worry too much. Have faith. Everything will be ok.

Read more