How do full-time working parents with no extra help at home (ie live on your own, no helper, not staying with parents) juggle and prepare and feed your little ones in the evenings? Esp those who send your little ones to full day IFC. My baby is 7mths 1 week old now. I need help/guidance/advice from experienced parents who have to fetch their babies after they knock off work late... and then rush home to feed them dinner... I feel so bad having to feed her only at 7.30pm or sometimes 8.00pm...and that is just easy brown rice cereals... Share with me pls... how and what you cook/prep...and tips to brave through this journey. I am so worried that I am not doing a good job in feeding her and that she may not be getting enough. Thank you.

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, When my baby was the same age as your baby, my husband and I, both were working and our baby too was going to a daycare. I think, what you can do is, do the preparation of her food the previous night, or if you are an early riser, you can make her feed in the morning itself. You can make boiled rice mixed with vegetables or pulses in it. You can also make porridge, or boil vegetables in advance. So, when you come home in the evening, all you have to do is to heat the food. Or you can put rice with veggies, or pulse (which is easy to digest for the baby) with apt amount of water it requires in the pan. So, when you are back, you just have to light the gas for sometime for the food to be ready for the baby. You can have fruits and buns handy at home, so if the baby is really hungry, you can feed the baby little fruit or bun till the time food is being cooked. And do not feel bad at all, you are doing a great job. Babies never let their mothers breathe easy if they are not comfortable themselves. If your baby will be hungry and you are not feeding her at that very moment, she will put the home on fire with her cries. :)

Read more
8y ago

Thank you so much. I appreciate the sharing and your encouragement!

Hi my lo goes to infant care and is 8mo now. I do not feed her solid when shes back as shes always too tired. So i let ifc feed her 2 times cereal..one in the noon and another in the evening before i pick her up. On off they feed purees too. Im thinking of starting porridge too but will let ifc do the feeding. Why dont u consider let ifc do the feeding before u fetch your baby?

Read more
8y ago

Thanks Hui Min for the advice and for sharing. The ifc that my lo goes to, is actually quite alright in terms of proximity, convenience and cleanliness etc.... BUT... when it comes to bottlefeeding her milk when she first started till now... I am somewhat disappointed. I instructed them to feed her (when she was 3.5mo), abt 120ml every 3hr, so which means 3 feeds since she is there for abt 9hrs...but they always feed her only twice. by the time i reach home (abt 7.30pm), she is starving like cra

I have 2 kids, 1 9yo and the other 9mo in IFC. No helper or parents helping too. A struggle but rewarding journey. The little one eats all the good food in school such as porridge so a little instant rice cereal for dinner is not that bad, plus it's packed with iron. You can make it up for cooking your home-cooked meals for the little one over the weekend.

Read more

My baby is 8 months old. Also on IFC. I don't let the IFC feed her solids as she always gets allergies with the food they cook. So I feed her at 8 pm when we reach home. Generally I feed her the organic jar pouches from Bellamy. It's about $3 a packet. It works out cheaper than buying her organic food and there are no preservatives added.

Read more

Maximize all the chores while the kids are asleep. I also have 2 toddlers, with no house help and I also work from home. I make sure before they wake up I'm almost done with all the chores and online work. It's all about time management.

My Friend actually use a slow cooker to prepare porridge for her LO overnight. So by morn, she can feed ...