How do we reduce siblings rivalry??

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My take is that some degree of competition or comparison between siblings is healthy. The main thing I would take note of is not to always put a particular child down. Recognize the strength of each child and play to each one’s advantage at various points. For example, have a reading competition and see who can read the most number of books in a week. Praise both children for their efforts (regardless who won) but give more credit to the one who read more. Have another contest that would be to the other’s child’s advantage (based on your child’s strength). Children, especially siblings, learn from one another and could benefit from such healthy competition. I grew up in a family with three children and it is really difficult to minimize sibling rivalry. Fighting with one another is just part and parcel (and, in a way, the fun) of having siblings (hee). One thing to note is that my parents always made sure we play fair and always use reason and logic in determining who is at fault (or who to praise). They never play favorites when handling conflicts so our "rivalry" has never escalated to anything that (in my opinion) would cause any emotional harm.

Read more
VIP Member

Having more than one child comes with its fair share of having to sort sibling rivalry. But there are a couple of things parents can do- beginning from before the birth of the second child- that has reduce sibling rivalry. - Make them friends before birth: Acquaint your first child with your unborn child through the series of sonograms or making him feel your belly when the baby makes any movements. Replay memories of your first child's birth with him to prepare him to replay the same when his sibling is born. - Give importance to the other sibling: Involve the elder child in the daily developments of your unborn child. Involve him in opening of baby presents and make your friends narrate their sibling stories. You can do the same too. - Teach them to be responsible: You can tell your first child how he will sometimes be taking care of the little one and how he can love and hold him. Engage them in baby talk. These are simple steps that can work in the long run and make your elder child more responsible and loving, towards the baby.

Read more

Usually competition will cause rivalry. Unknowingly, parents tends to compare. As parents, you need to educate yr kids well. I know comparsion will kick in automatically but pls bear in mind that it will not only affect the kids but you as parents too. Try to minimize and importantly not to do it in front of the kids or openly. Engaged the kids in activities that they enjoy together but if they don't have any similarities, you got to be fair. Perform activities that they like with them alternate week. In this way, they can't compare and say that you aren't fair towards them too. Take it slowly. Don't rush.

Read more

The first thing the parent can do is to stop comparing each sibling. Comparison between siblings will cause jealously and anger among them. Each child has different personality and temperant and thus, try to minimise and best to avoid comparing to each other e.g. you see your brother is eating vegetables more than you. In addition, parents can spend individual quality time with each child. This will help the child to know their parents are caring about each of them. A simple thing such as ice-cream day, cycling day etc. will make the different.

Read more

I think it will help to engage them in activities they both enjoy. Show them and remind them that you both love them equally and that the older sibling must care for the younger ones and that the younger ones have to respect their older sibling. Don't compare and compliment each sibling for their unique strengths. Foster a sense of individuality and an atmosphere of compassion by teaching kids that it's a big world and their sibling will be their biggest ally as they get older.

Read more
VIP Member

Many things help sibling rivalry. Here are some things that are great tips: No fighting rule, Be consistent, tell them they have to figure it out with each other before coming and complaining to you, don't take sides, teach them to solve their own problems and be a good example. Here is other reading and tips you can do: http://sg.theasianparent.com/how_to_handle_sibling_rivalry_ron_afable/

Read more
Post reply image

What causes rivalry? Competition. Reduce that. If their interests and hobbies match much, they'll always compete. If different, they'll always adore what the other is doing (grass is greener on other side). Also, make them play together as much, will strengthen their bond :)

thanks