Siblings

How do u tell ur firstborn that you are having another baby?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Ah.. my daughter was around that age too. I made it all about her. Haha. Rather than saying a baby was coming, I told her she was going to be a big sister. Told her that she was going to be the best elder sister.. and we explored all the things she could do with the little one, as well as the special entitlements she would have as the older child (to make it more fun for her). I always showed her pictures of the ultrasound scans, and my husband and I decided on the name early this time, and told my daughter the baby’s name. So from then on, she called the unborn baby by name, would sing to baby, rub my tummy. I let her ask me all the questions, told her what she could do to help once baby’s out.. we also decided on a gift to give to baby, and I let her plan a birthday card message for her sister (I held her hand as we wrote it together). Oh, I let her be the one to tell my parents and family about the baby (refer to picture). She wanted to put the picture into an ang pow, and then gave it to my parents, saying, “There’s a baby in Mama’s tummy. I’m going to be a big sister! The bestest one!” 😂 She was sooo excited. Importantly, during the pregnancy, although there were some physical limitations in my interactions with her, I made it a point to show her that she wasn’t being neglected because a baby was coming. She got lots of hugs.. I worked through her meltdowns with her.. we shared lots of laughs and had fun together. Today, my younger one’s almost 7 months.. and I believe in sef-fulfilling prophecies, because my elder daughter is a really amazing elder sister, and so full of love (and protective too) towards the younger sister. Hope all goes well with you, and congratulations!

Read more
Post reply image
4y ago

Thank you for all the pointers! Will try the methods u mentioned. Hopefully will work out with my boy. 😊😊👍👍

Get him/her to listen to your tummy every night. Somehow they can sense... Mine was 1yr when I tell her abt being a big sister at 15 weeks.

Actually making it all about my boy that he is going to have a little sister with whom he can play and teach etc. :)

VIP Member

I show my firstborn the pic of the scan and explain slowly. sometimes I talk to her and point to my tummy....

Making it fun, involve him with the whole family to welcome the new addition to the family Congrats

TapFluencer

asked whether he wanted a brother or sister

VIP Member

Throw a little pre birth/pregnancy party

Super Mum

Show the pictures of the doctor visit

Make it fun and a party!

Super Mum

How old is your firstborn?