Annoyed

How to avoid feeling annoyed with those kids who throw tantrum in public?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Do you mean your own kids or kids that you see in public? Either way, I think it'll help to just understand why they're having tantrums. It may sound weird, but kids start having their own voice from about 2-3 years old. It's the stage where they want to do everything themselves, test their boundaries (aka test parents' patience) and also learn how to express themselves - and when they can't do so, the tantrums happen usually because they're frustrated. When it comes to other people's kids, just keep calm about it and understand that both the child and the parents are already having a really hard time - and you being annoyed or trying to react to it wouldn't help anyone. When it's your own child, then there are different ways to tackle it - I usually do it the peaceful/gentle parenting way so this is what I do: 1) Pick your child up and hug him/her close while calmly saying that it's okay and just let them exhaust themselves first. Their screaming and crying translates to things they're trying to say, especially if they can't talk yet - so just let them express themselves and listen to it calmly (even though they might make zero sense to you). The key here is to hold your child to let them know it's a safe environment and you're there to support them. 2) Once they calm down, then start talking to them over what happened. Ask about their feelings, what they wanted to do, explain why they can't/are not allowed to, and most importantly - give an alternative. All these while still holding your child close (I usually just carry my son and walk away from the incident area, you don't want the public attention and you wouldn't want to do public discipline either). When that fails, sometimes it's just better to let them exhaust themselves - especially those that like to sit/lie on the floor crying. However, note that you should always be by their side and down on their level - usually just kneeling down on one leg would work good enough. This is so that they know they have your attention (the cause of most tantrums in the first place) and they know they're safe to express their emotions. All in all, whether you're a stranger or a parent, don't do big reactions in public because 1) you wouldn't know what exactly happened in someone else's family and 2) you don't want your child to feel that it's not okay to express themselves to you.

Read more

By “those” I mean other kids? The easiest way is to walk away. If you can’t, just take deep breaths and close your eyes. Really, that’s pretty much you can do.

I realised many parent will let their child throw tantrum in public and not stopping them. are they too tired doing that?

5y ago

I understand its tiring... but what do you think can be done in order to have the right parenting?

VIP Member

Just ignore, don't stare and walk away. Their parents are suffering inside and feel really bad as it is

VIP Member

Ignore the stranger. If you gotta discipline, you got to. If not bring them to a side.

TapFluencer

Just walk away. That mum has enough to deal with as it is.

To think about how the parents might be feeling

Ignore. The mummy is stress enough

I guess just ignored and look away

VIP Member

Show some love. Or ignore