Hi mummies, I need advice on a non breastfeeding issue. My father in law has been taking care of my daughter since I went back to work when she was 2 months old. Since then, baby has had problems latching on, tried for so long to get her to latch again but to no avail, so now I'm exclusively pumping. My father in law insists that fat babies are healthy babies and has been feeding her a lot since I went back to work, even when she cries and turns away, he will still force the bottle in her mouth. baby is > 97th percentile and the PD has asked us to limit her intake. Somehow, my father in law refuses to respect my husbands and my wishes when it comes to our baby. He insisted on feeding her water before she's 6 months old, wanted to give her solids before then also and he insists that we should give her the pacifier. I live with my in laws and I get very stressed out worrying if he is giving her water or solids, or not letting her sleep. It's so bad that I changed my job so I can be around more to take care of my baby. Every morning before I go to work, I will prepare her morning feed of 160ml (she was drinking 210ml previously) and go to work. Imagine my surprise when I was home and realized that he topped up the milk to 210ml again. And he does this for every feed till I come home. And if she wakes up 1.5 hours later, he will insist that she is hungry again. On weekends when I bring her home to my mother's she drinks 160 per feed and it will last her at least 3 hours. I know that he will never do anything to hurt her on purpose but I am getting very annoyed that he doesn't respect our decisions. How do I handle this ? Even when the PD tells him, he insists he knows better. Help. (Sorry for the long post)

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Don't mind me saying, all the above advise will cause more issues between you and your in-laws. How about respecting the main care giver ( Your FIL)? Please note that what he did are small infringement at best, the science is not out yet on right parenting technique(feeding bah bah) With the above said, do you invite your FIL to visit PD together? Is difficult for parents to accept advise their children, let alone DIL. (Heard of the saying, don't teach your father how to F***) The best is to use someone with higher authority (Your PD) to advise him or someone he will listen to(FIL's sister or brother)

Read more
8y ago

it's stated above tht when the pd tell her fil, he fil thinks otherwise. tht he knows better. please read.