Bottle feeding rejection

Hey mummies.. My girl is 12 weeks old currently DL. I'm going back to work next month. I have been trying to introduce bottle feeding during the day however she has been rejecting it. I've tried hegen, pigeon, comotomo, Dr brown bottles still no success. Well, she does accept it once or twice. However, she has been forcefully rejecting it for the last 2 weeks. She used to accept bottle after birth till 4 weeks old when I decided to DL her for my convenience as I'm mainly the sole caregiver as my husband is working. Im not sure if she's gg through a growth spurt at the moment. She has been drooling a lot, sucking her fingers. Not sure if teething. Baby will be taken care of by my mum in laws, and even when my mum in law tried to feed her, she still reject the bottles. I've changed the teats to a faster flow. I'm pretty stressed up coz my Inlaws keep asking me "why baby don't want take bottle?". 😭 I've been trying, it's not that I'm not trying... But I can only smile in front of her. 😔 Any mummies experience this before? I just hope that she'll eventually accept bottle once I go back to work.. If not she'll be losing weight or worse dehydration. #pleasehelp #FTM

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Hi mommy, I got the same issue as you when my LO was 2mo. I try to trick her by switching to bottle halfway. Eventually as she grow, she knows the diff. So we have been trying different bottle from Pigeon to Avents and currently we using Spectra caused LO prefer spectra milk bottles. But do take note of her drinking progress as the size guide is just a guide. Some babies might prefer slower flow else they will keep coughing when drinking. Also, try to give her fresh breast milk in bottle first before using the frozen one. Once she get used to bottle then slowly introduce frozen (not 100%) caused my LO don’t like the 100% frozen breast milk so can start by mixing half half first depending on your LO’s preference.

Read more

hi! maybe you can try to leave the room or house when someone else is feeding the baby with bottle? some babies are clever; when they know their mummies are there, they wouldn't take the bottle! mine was like this. I had to leave the house before she takes the bottle. if you still intend to DL, I would advise to change the teats back. she may not want to DL if she gets used to the faster-flowing teats. jia you mama!

Read more
3y ago

Thank you for the reply. I did leave the room to hide or even go out during that period of feeding however she still reject and chose to sleep instead eventho its already 3-4hrs since her last feed. How long was it for you for baby to accept bottle during the day? I had a fast let down that's why I thought by changing to a faster flow it'll help. Oh I realised that she tend to chew the teats, not sure if it is sign of her early teething (?). I'll try to change back the teats to a slower flow, hope it helps.