Hi experience moms, can I know when you all start adding salt/taste to your little ones food? My toddler is 20months old and lately she keep rejecting her daily food which is porridge or soft rice that no salt being added.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I only started to add cooking salt (Himalayan Sea Salt) for my little ones when they turned 2.5 years old. Why not you try to make your own seasoning? It is very easy and cheap to make one yourself. There are a lot of varieties, e.g. onion powder, garlic powder, chicken powder, ikan bilis powder, and etc. These are preservative free and more healthy compared to commercial flavoring and seasoning. You can refer to these websites for the powder recipes: http://www.sustainablebabysteps.com/homemade-garlic-powder.html http://www.noobcook.com/ikan-bilis-anchovies-powder-step-by-step-photos/

Read more

I also started with spices and herbs (garlic, onions, basil, cumin powder, cinnamon etc) and then Himalayan pink salt. Just a tiny bit. Now at 21 months my twins eat the same table food as us whenever we are outside. So I try to balance outside food and home cooked food. Home cooked food still stayed relatively bland. And because there's a mix between home cooked and outside food my twins still eats pretty ok.

Read more

Even until now which is 23 months, I haven't introduced salt or sugar. Depended on natural taste of ingredients. May be a little bland but I think play safe. Minimally should be fine but if can delay delay. Sugar has no health benefits anyway. Balance off food like fruits etc which has more natural goodness. It's after all a choice of food rather than spices. :)

Read more
VIP Member

A bit of salt is ok, most important is your toddler is eating well. As long everything is in moderation, it's fine. Unless till now, you have not been giving your toddler outside food than it's different stories. But it's good to use himalayan salt instead of the normal salt.

Read more
8y ago

Why not feed the ikan bilis and use ikan bilis to boil soup or make porridge instead. It's better than making them into powder.

maybe you try add sweet corn into porridge & pork or fish. or try boil lkan billis for an hour, use the broth to cook porridge taste good.

I use only Himalayan Pink salt too. I also make white fish bait powder to add to my kids' porridge.

i use to put soya sauce than salt but only the porridge will turn brownish.