Headstart. Every parent would love their kid to get a headstart in life, but really, how do you define a headstart for your kids? academically speaking, lifeskill speaking and lifestyle speaking?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

It really depends on what kind of a parent you are, and what kind of child you want to raise! There isn't a right or wrong in this, but it's more what you want to focus on. For me, my priority is that my son is happy, healthy and safe. What matters most for me is that my son has a happy childhood, spending time with family and enjoying himself in school or whatever we plan for him! Of course, health is wealth too - so I am one of the stricter mums when it comes to the food that he eats. He's 27mo now but I still have strict control over things like eating biscuits, snacks, or anything prepackaged/processed really - but I'm glad I have a born foodie that doesn't like those kinds of foods in the first place, so sometimes even on "treat" days he would reject foods like sausages, hot dogs etc. It may not be the case for everyone, but I just feel like he has the next 60-70 years to eat whatever he wants with as much flavouring as he wants, so my priority is to keep his body healthy as long as possible because once he gets exposed to it, it's hard to pull him back. If you're talking about a headstart, I'd say that I did a financial headstart? I made sure that both of us are well covered by insurance because financial crisis would cause chaos in a single-parent household like mine - especially since I work freelance with a fixed but not-great income. I also have an endowment plan in place that payout when my son turns 21, so that he has the money to do what he wants - be it pursuing further education or just wanting to start something on his own! Basically, the goal is NOT to leave him a good wealthy fortune, but to be able to support us through the tides that might hit unexpectedly. Academics is not and never will be any part of my priority at all, just doing his best is all I ask for! If I had to choose, I'd rather spend the time, effort and money building our relationship and bonding because a good parent-child relationship paths the way to better problem solving in the future :)

Read more
VIP Member

Everything starts with how you are as a role model to your kid, is what I'd say. For example, if your kid sees you reading, and you read to him/her, then that's a good way of introducing love of reading and even learning, as well as becoming more familiar with letters and words and the overall concept of communicating - which is an important skill to have and to use in school and in day to day things. Parents provide the best headstart for kids. I hope this helps! And doesn't sound cliche.

Read more
VIP Member

I had never given that a thought honestly. I am using a more child led approach, letting him explore the world. we go out very often, to many places,and he learned a lot. at 2.5 years old he already travelled to quite a few countries. as a parent, I just do my best to nurture and stimulate his learning, and always always talking to him.

Read more
VIP Member

Mental well being and social skills are important to me. Once your social skills are good, he/she will be able to communicate with people well outside.

For me, I academic is secondary. I place mental well-being, social skills and life skills above academics.

I would try to give a head start in everything ? Giving exposures n opportunities.