Has anyone of you tried administering Salbutamol to their LOs to relieve them from asthma attacks? Are there any side effects or changes in behavior that you noticed? Update: it was prescribed by our Pedia and it was in syrup form, not inhaler type. Did some research on it and it mentioned that it may cause palpitations and agitation which was also confirmed by our Pedia. Tried it for a week and noticed instantly that my LO became very irritable to the point that he couldn't sleep well. When I stopped, his behavior changed drastically and became the happy little baby that he is. Could it possibly be the med???

6 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

My friends do to their kids. Whenever their kids are coughing differently, they give salbutamol inhalers because some type of coughs signal asthma also. So far, haven't heard any negative reaction about that med. Aside from that, it can also be bought over the counter. So I believe it's really safe.

I suggest you consult your pedia first. I was already in grade 3 when I was given Salbutamol inhaler, but I was advised not to use it directly. Instead, I was instructed to puff it inside a brown bag then inhale exhale. So double check with your baby's pedia first.

My niece use salbutamol kapag inaatake sya ng asthma, maganda naman effect sa kanya. With your concern you should seek advice with a pedia kasi mahirap magpainom ka na lang ng gamot sa LOs mo.

Not asthma but a bad viral cough --- nebulized with 2ml salbutamol and 2ml NSS. worked pretty well! It was what helped her sleep. If her cough isn't bad though, we just nebulize with 2ml NSS

Salbutamol inhaler is different from the syrup form. You better check with your doctor first if he's ok to give your child an inhaler already. I think it would also depend on the child's age.

For extreme coughing, you can use salbutamol.