Breastfeeding Guilt

Gave birth last week via e-csect, and I am one of the lucky ones blessed with a good supply, and have been exclusively latching baby since birth. I know I should be thankful (and I still am) that my milk supply is adequate for my baby, but I cant help but feel so so so tired and so so so angry everytime it’s time to feed. My incision wound also still hurts so I have to rely on someone else to help bring the baby snd swaddle/burp the baby after. This schedule causes great distress to me and whoever is doing “night shift” with me. Even though its been only a week Im considering just giving up breastfeeding and just giving formula. But with everyone saying how good breastmilk is, Im stuck in a dilemma- should i still breastfeed at the expense of my own mental/physical health or give baby formula for my convenience? Any advice? No hate please… I’m just really tired… Thanks.

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I pump to feed after 1 plus month cause I dun like latching which cause me n my gal to always sleep together and she is not drinking enough. tot after 4 month would need to go back work so decide to pump all the way instead. having type 2 diabetic causes my gal to have low sugar after birth, the nurse has fed her e fm already cause I dun have enough the first few days...so after I'm bk I tried full bm but still doesn't make enough and feeling very sleepy at night which she keeps on waking for milk so decide to give her fm so we both can have enough sleep at night. which goes well cause after 2 plus 3 month she dun have night feedings so I can rest. pls dun get upset over it and take care of urself so u can take care of ur baby. after 6months she only like to have fm so I only feed her w bm in the morning which she is still very healthy and I just pump less freq.

Read more

Hey mummy, I’m exclusively expressing for my baby too and I understand the ‘displeasure’ u get cos i felt the same as well… ultimately take care of ya well-being first. I figured the breastfeeding journey actually needs alot of support. Its probably the immunities n antibodies that the baby gets from us thats not really avail in formula. Maybe u can hang in there for a couple of months then go for formula. I actually also trusted formula and i think they supply sufficient amt of nutrients to the baby as well n mummy dun need to worry abt her own diet that goes to the baby. So i think u can go for fm when baby’s older! Afterall it’s also u that matters

Read more

Hi mummy! Congratulations on your bundle of joy! You don't have to feel guilty. Remember, your mental health is always a priority. While I gave birth naturally with a premature baby, I don't have a good supply and have to do a mix feed till today, 7 mths later & I pump 3 hourly until 2 weeks ago. It's been exhausting with the pumping & I decided to give it up and just go with the flow. My baby will sometimes rejects fm and prefers to latch and vice versa. I have other children too and they're all formula milk fed. All healthy and no health issue so far.

Read more

I am also a c sect mum but doesn't have alot of supply like you. However i was having sore nipples and everytime i bf baby i felt so stressed until my bp elevated and my gyane ask me to stop bf and pump instead. I been doing mixed feed from the start so perhaps you want to bf baby during the day and formula at night? Just focus on pumping at night will do so it's easier for whoever is taking night shift with you. They can focus on feeding n burping baby while you focus on pumping.

Read more

Hi dear, you dont hv to feel guilty at all, we must do the best we can but also hv to take into consideration your mental and physical health. Yes breastmilk is good but so is formula. You try your best for another few days if you still feel very tired than just give formula. Remember your child needs a happy and healthy mother no point stressing over breastmilk. My daughter was on formula from birth, she's doing fine and rarely falls sick.❤

Read more
3y ago

Agree with this 👍 Please take good care of yourself mummy. Perhaps you can try mixed feeding first, let your baby drink formula milk at night so you can get a better rest. I didn't have much milk supply and I wanted to get a good rest so I also gave my baby formula milk since birth. Don't feel guilty, do what is best for you and your baby. Jiayou! 🙂

Hi i can understand the pain & stressed that your going thru. Im a 3rd time csec mom, my 1st was e-csec as well. Its a lot of things that we have to go thru to get ourself well first. My advice is dont rush things. Take evrything at 1time & try to enjoy evry min with your bb. As they grow very fast. Make yourself happy by looking at ur bb. She needs u to be there. Maybe you try to change formula @nite & bf milk in the day.

Read more

Hi mumma, I don't know if you've already heard this but ultimately do what's best for YOU n your baby, if u wanna continue breastfeeding but latching is too tiring, try pumping, that way someone else can feed instead. If u wanna feed formula, you do you! As long as baby is well-fed, healthy n mum is in a good state that's the best anyone can hope for! Take a step back n breathe, rest, u deserve it

Read more

my take is don't have to feel guilty. you know what's best for you and your baby. I was admitted 2x and went 3 op when baby is only 7 weeks old. luckily I store some milk before my admission for her to drink. I also avoided taking pain killer and antibiotics after discussion with the doctors, so that I could continue pumping milk for her to drink. just do what you feel comfortable doing.

Read more

Hi, u can try latching on the day and expressed it out at night. Or to make it easier for ur night caregiver do formula at night, while u focus to rest and express it out. Don’t be stress, is easier said than done. Think positive and be happy that her world now is revolve just both ur husband and you. U will feel better…

Read more

I'm 40+ csec too with no help at all, all by myself including housework 😓 plus trouble 2 boy is tiring but whenever I think I would like to give the best to my baby, I will continue 🙂 besides latch, i pump to ensure enough for my 2 yo boy too 😍 take care

Read more