hand me downs

Do you all feel the same as me? Sometimes hand me downs are appreciated, but at times I do feel that I need my own experience in choosing and buying my own baby stuff.

19 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Totally appreciate the "Hand-Me-Downs" items. Firstly, items are able to be reuse, recycle and cut down on wastage but of course, the items need to be cleaned, washed and properly sanitized. I received lots of "Hand-Me-Downs" but items are just not reusable at all. Reason due to the facts, that the items was store in a warm storage, humid, dusty and uncleaned condition. So what to do, even if I manage to salvage the items, not everything can be cleaned. So yeah, just dump them away into the recycling bins. Milk bottles, teats, pacifiers, milk bags - these can't be reuse after such a long period of 3 years. Scratches, hard stains and possibly germs growing. Clothes on the other hand,stains can be washed but those hard-corded stains like poo, peed...definitely a no-no. I usually opt for Brand New, sealed in packaging, second-hand items that I can find online. Still lot cheaper then retail. Brand New. Sealed. So yeah, hand-me-downs can be pros and cons. 😊😉

Read more

Maybe I’m just spoilt, but while I appreciate others’ kindness to pass me hand me downs (they don’t owe me anything) but I will appreciate even more if they could just don’t pass me anything if they are not in good condition? I don’t mean that they need to be in tip top conditions, but I have a cousin who passed me a playpen that has changed colour n has patches of what looks like mould. And my husband’s Friend gave us a bag of clothes that has stains all over n some even with holes? And when I didn’t want to keep these items, my Husband is upset at me because I’m ungrateful n spoilt. But seriously, how to keep a playpen like that for my Daughter to play in n how to let her wear such stained clothes with holes? In these cases, I rather they not give me anything so I don’t have to get into a quarrel with my Husband!

Read more
5y ago

Totally agree on the “take also cannot, don’t take also cannot” part too!

VIP Member

Even though it’s hand down, i will still choose the more clean and nicer one. If very yellow, loose, i will keep aside and donate away. They offered to give us, we can either say we have a lot from other ppl or pick and choose and bless to another person who need it more, they wouldn’t know as well. I will get new one for going home from Hospital after born, full month etc, as they outgrown fast, dun need to buy alot, as at home, prefer something fast and easy.

Read more
Super Mum

For me I'd take the hand-me-downs for daily use like clothes, mittens etc since babies grow so fast and buying everything brand new is such a waste. But if I see cute dresses I'd definitely buy for special occasions. Other stuff like toys strollers etc are for long term use so buying brand new is worth it too.

Read more

To me hand me downs for baby clothes it's fine but I make sure it's clean not dirty with stains. For other baby stuff hand me downs is a big no go. I would love to choose and buy brand new baby things for my beloved baby

Yep I agreed with you. I usually reject the hand me downs if I dont feel like having it, or sometimes I just ask their permission whether I can hand it to charity or someone else if I just dont need it.

A mixture would be good, it is a blessing that we receive hand me downs as they do help to save costs, but it's also nice to get some new items to pamper the kids!

I guess is a mixture feeling, but I’m fine with hand downs as I’m able to save more for the future enrichment class. To be honest all baby outgrown very fast

VIP Member

Yes absolutely! Especially with advent of e-commerce players you can buy new things for really cheap if you ship from China/Bangladesh etc

TapFluencer

I look through the hand me downs and select those clean ones and then I see what are missing and buy new ones (: