As a father, what can I do to make my daughters happy if I'm working abroad?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My dad left for the States when I was in pre-school. Since then, we've been keeping in touch through phone calls. And more recently, through Skype and social media. It wasn't easy. But, we made it work. He'd come home once every 1-2 years and he was there for both my HS and College graduations. I'm happy to say we have a very close relationship until now that I'm 30 years old. I still miss him, though. He has a new family now but I'm proud that the distance never affected our bond. I think not many people can say that. So I still count myself blessed. :)

Read more

I think that you should try some of the awesome communication apps that are available nowadays. A lot of kids aren;t too interested in a simple phone call anymore, and with things like Skype and FaceTime available can you blame them? You could try one of those for nightly conversations. Or you could get WhatsApp or Viber for quick and frequent conversations. There are so many great options nowadays that you won't have to feel far from your daughters even if they are elsewhere.

Read more

My dad was working abroad too. Communication is the key. Whenever you're at work don't forget to talk to them and ask them about them so that when you came back you still know many things about them and also don't forget about their birthdays or any achievement then surprise them with a small gift or treat them somewhere. Lastly catch up whenever you're home. Always tell them how much you love them.

Read more

Make her feel your presence even though you're far away. Never forget to give her a ring, no matter how busy a day can get. Occasionally, you may give her gifts she'll love, not because we want to shower them with material things. Kids are kids, of course at their age they will appreciate them most.

Have a constant communication and never forget her birthday :)