Ask the Expert Series: Common Causes of Miscarriages

Hello everyone! Excited to “see” you! I am Dr Smily Lock, Head of Healthcare Solutions - Chronic and Long-Term Care. A miscarriage is the loss of a pregnancy during the first 23 weeks. The main signs of a miscarriage include vaginal bleeding, and missed pregnancy symptoms followed by cramping and pain. Various factors increase the risk of miscarriage. You can learn here many more things about miscarriages and their causes. --------------------------------------- Here are some questions asked in our community, and we got the answers for you ✅ 👩‍💼Which food can cause miscarriage in pregnancy? 👩‍🔬Hi there, thanks for your question. Certain maternal infections like Listeria monocytogenes can lead to miscarriage. To prevent listeriosis, avoid eating these foods in pregnancy: unpasteurised milk and soft cheeses, refrigerated pate and meat spreads, refrigerated smoked seafood and unwashed fruits and vegetables. Raw or undercooked meat should also be avoided during pregnancy due to risk of toxoplasmosis, an infection with bacteria often found in raw meat. - Dr Smily 👩‍💼Can pregnancy stress cause miscarriage? 👩‍🔬Hi there, thanks for your question. The most common causes of miscarriage include chromosomal abnormalities, congenital abnormalities, endocrine disorders and clotting disorders. Pregnancy stress is not a major cause of miscarriage. - Dr Smily 👩‍💼Is brown discharge in the 2nd trimester a sign of miscarriage? 👩‍🔬 Hi there, thanks for your question. Discharge during pregnancy should be assessed by an obstetrician - do seek a medical consultation early if you do experience such symptoms. - Dr Smily

Ask the Expert Series: Common Causes of Miscarriages
18 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Community user question: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/im-currently-in-first-trimester-around-week-6experienced-bleeding-wit/4511884 I’m currently in my first trimester (around week 6)..experienced bleeding with clots and went to KKH urgent O&G yesterday..doc said mine is a threatened miscarriage and prescribed progesterone ovCommunity user question: I’m currently in my first trimester (around week 6)..experienced bleeding with clots and went to KKH urgent O&G yesterday..doc said mine is a threatened miscarriage and prescribed progesterone over 2 weeks..they did scanning and could see baby and heartbeat..did not have any bleeding for the next 24 hours until now (the next day) where I felt a gush of blood again (fresh blood with clots)..just wondering if this is normal even after taking progesterone? How long does it usually take for the bleeding to stop? Am very worried and paranoid :(er 2 weeks..they did scanning and could see baby and heartbeat..did not have any bleeding for the next 24 hours until now (the next day) where I felt a gush of blood again (fresh blood with clots)..just wondering if this is normal even after taking progesterone? How long does it usually take for the bleeding to stop? Am very worried and paranoid :(

Read more
1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. Threatened miscarriage is the presence of vaginal bleeding in early pregnancy with a closed cervix and a viable fetus on transvaginal ultrasound. Progesterone is commonly used in threatened miscarriage as it is shown to reduce the risk of miscarriage with no significant risk to mother or baby. Even though generally it may take 2-3 days for hormones to act, if you do continue to be bleeding, do seek medical consultation early with your obstetrician for further assessment. - Dr Smily

Picture is here: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/i-currently-21w-pregnant-had-small-polyp-removal-4-days-ago-due-frequen/4527284?d=android&ct=q&share=true Hi, I am currently 21w pregnant and had a small polyp removal 4 days ago due to frequent bleeding. I also have candida infection and on flagystatin insert for 10 nights. Yesterday, I saw a jelly like sticky light pink discharge and went to google the image. The search results seem to be mucus plug and I understand that it is something that happens close to delivery but I'm only 21w. Should I be concerned about it? Is the discharge to do with the polyp removal or flagystatin medication?

Read more

Community user question: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/having-past-miscarriage-experience-im-little-panicky-last-time-i-had-mc/4513423 Having past miscarriage experience, I'm a little panicky. The last time I had a Mc, my boobs stop hurting and that was the first symptom I had. So just want to know if you all experience pregnancy symptoms that comes and goes? For instance I realise my boobs soreness is almost non existence every night time and peaks again around afternoon. But today felt like it's less sore too?

Read more
1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. Sorry to hear about your previous miscarriage experience. Reduced breast soreness is not an indicator if miscarriage, however if you do feel breast pain, do seek medical assessment early with your family doctor. - Dr Smily

Community user question: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/i-currently-week-14-however-everyday-i-full-worry-recently-friend-shar/4516186 I am currently on week 14, however everyday I am full of worry as recently my friend shared that she had miscarriages at week 16ish without any symptoms. I thought after week 12 the pregnancy should be stabilised? 😢😢 Always looking for assurance, however I am aware that nothing is concrete 😢🥺

Read more
1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. In general, the risk of miscarriage decreases after 12 weeks of gestation, and the risk of early pregnancy loss decreases with increasing gestational age. - Dr Smily

Community user question: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/10-weeks-preggy-symptoms-fading-normal-ive-had-miscarriage-7-mths-ago/4491333 10 weeks preggy and symptoms fading. Is this normal? I've had a miscarriage 7 mths ago, so i am a bit paranoid and scared.

1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. Sorry for your loss 7 months ago. Nausea and vomiting in pregnancy most commonly tends to begin by four weeks of gestational age and resolve by the end of twelve weeks estimated gestational age, and 10 weeks falls within this range. - Dr Smily

Community user question: https://community.theasianparent.com/q/i-ask-if-experience-bleeding-like-first-day-menstruation-i-have-tin/4513218 bleeding is like first day of menstruation and i have one tiny clot today. Will go to gynae tho today. Is it normal?

1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. Bleeding in pregnancy warrants a medical assessment, do seek medical consultation early. - Dr Smily

hi.. im already 17 weeks +.. i will do at least 30 min of walking everyday.. but recently after walking i feel alot of pressure and cramp at my vagina.. feeling heavy down there.. y is that so

1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. It is common to feel pelvic stretch and discomfort during pregnancy. However, if these symptoms are bothering you, do seek medical consultation early with your obstetrician or family doctor for further assessment. - Dr Smily

- what are the percentages/chances of miscarriage in the different trimesters? - could certain fruits/food cause a miscarriage? - what foods/fruits/vitamins to eat to prevent miscarriage?

1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. As many as about 26% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage and 80% of early pregnancy loss occurs in the first trimester. The risk of miscarriage decreases after 12 weeks gestation. The most common causes of miscarriage include chromosomal abnormalities, congenital abnormalities, endocrine disorders and clotting disorders. Certain maternal infections like Listeria monocytogenes and toxoplasma gonadii can also lead to a smaller proportion of miscarriages. It is recommended to have a well-balanced diet consisting of protein, carbohydrate and fats. Folic acid is a form of Vitamin B9, and is recommended by U.S. Preventive Services Task Force to reduce neural tube defects in newborns. - Dr Smily

is there any possible to have miscarriage during 2nd and 3rd trimesters? If so Why?

1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. Yes it is possible to have miscarriage during second and third trimester, although the risk is lower than in the first trimester. Many factors can contribute to miscarriage, not limited to: fetal factors like congenital abnormalities, maternal factors like infections or uncontrolled chronic illness, and other factors like drug use, smoking and trauma. - Dr Smily

is brown discharge in the 2nd trimester a sign of miscarriage?

1y ago

Hi there, thanks for your question. Discharge during pregnancy should be assessed by an obstetrician - do seek a medical consultation early if you do experience such symptoms. - Dr Smily