During confinement can you go Chinese New Year visiting?

20 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I'm not sure CNY customs are like but I was doing my confinement during Hari Raya. I didn't do much preparations for Hari Raya either. I didn't buy new clothes, I bought a few kuehs and that was about it. I didn't do any visitings and I had "timings" to whoever who wanted to come and visit us and even those were restricted to only close relatives and immediate family. Reason is simple, I didn't myself and baby to get tire out and I placed baby in his cot in our room when they visited. They only came in to look at baby (some elders stroked him) but they were strictly told no kissing because he was really really new (less than a week old).

Read more
VIP Member

I wont be going this year and both my mom and MIL agreed. My baby will only turn a month after cny so her immune system is still weak, I don't want to risk her getting infected by germs or viruses outside. Furthermore, relatives surely will want to carry the baby, this passing here and there stresses me out so it's better that we both stay home 🤣 but eventually, it's up to you, if you are only going to one place where you can comfortably feed your baby and ensure sanitary conditions then why not?

Read more

I personally think that it really depends on your preference. There is no restriction that said you cannot go out of house during confinement period. I went out very often with my baby during my confinement period. Moreover, it also depends on your overall physical fitness. If your stitches has not fully recovered then I will not advised you to go visiting. You may request your relatives to visit you instead if you are too tired or still recovering from your delivery.

Read more

I was super pissed with mil and hub for insisting to go visiting to their side 4 weeks pp. Reason from my mil, help bb take angbao.. my reason of not going is dont want anyone to touch my baby coz too vulnerable. In the end go for a while with me angry face throughout. Ask nanny go with us to take care of bb and dont let ppl carry. Bb also cooperative, slept throughout...

Read more
4y ago

Yup. So I just flash my signature black face throughout and kept on chasing my hub said I need to pump milk etc

VIP Member

I would advise against it because you're still adjusting to having a new baby in your life, plus you have to let your body rest. Most importantly, if you'll be bringing your baby Chinese New Year visiting, a lot of relatives would be eager to carry him, but his immune system is still weak. You'll be exposing him to a lot of germs.

Read more
Super Mum

Some people may pantang so check first before you turn up at their home. For none pantang reasons, I would go limited places. Even though I’ve finished confinement this cny I still find it hassle to move around with newborn. Having to feed, pump, change and pacify baby, etc while on the move is quite energy draining.

Read more
VIP Member

It really depends. But best not too as you require lots of rest and baby is still new to the environment. Baby might get overstimulated with the crowd and noise. If there is gathering at your place, it's perfectly fine to sit with them and enjoy. But try not to go house visiting as it's very energy draining.

Read more
Super Mum

You can if you want to, and you don’t have to if you don’t want to:) My biggest concern would be that there’re a lot of people within a small space, and relatives would want to keep touching the baby. Do what you’re comfortable with, and feel free to leave and go home to rest whenever you want to.

totally depends on you. see people don't believe in confinement. if you are in the beginning of your confinement period, it's better to rest at home. not just for yourself, more for baby to be in a condusive environment.

VIP Member

Really depends - are you at the beginning or end of confinement? Relatives means direct family or extended? Is there a spare room for you to feed baby in comfort, sleep with baby if necessary?