Do you think our Pinoy children suffers from inferiority complex when encountering foreign students in their class? If yes, how do we help them cope and embrace their nationality instead of adopting that of other's?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

I used to tutor children of a wide varity of nationalities. Sometimes, I'd have a Filipino student, Australian student, and Japanese student at the same time (just as an example). I never noticed any sense of insecurities among any of the students, and certainly not the from my Filipino students. However, if you're concerned about making sure your children grow up proud of their culture and nation, check out this awesome article about instilling Pinoy pride in your kids: https://ph.theasianparent.com/instill-pinoy-pride-kids/

Magbasa pa

Pinoy children get inferior around foreigner classmates mainly because of the language barrier. As parents, we have to try to teach our children the universal language, which is English, to lessen the impact of this issue. As early as a month old, I saw to it that I talked to my children in straight English, and did not "baby-talk" them. For me, this was effective in teaching them self confidence. My 5-year-old son can easily talk with anybody.

Magbasa pa

I think it all boils down to how we raise our kids. If we raise them to love whatever they are, they'll grow less insecure. With this, they'll grow neither as a bully or as a kid with inferiority complex,

We don't take away the "Filipino" in our kids if we teach them English or other languages.