Do you agree that if a child is bright enough he or she can catch up and even outdo others later in primary school, and thus no need to invest in expensive private preschool? Or do you think it's better to build a strong foundation during preschool years so they won't lose out in primary school?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

for me, preparatory period of the Child, public school will do, but you should discipline your Child regarding GMRC, but when their in College kindly put them to prestigious school like UP, Ateneo etc. save money when your child goes to. Public School in their preparatory period up to grade 12, based on my experience, college in exclusive school is a must because this will be their setting stage what they wanted to do in their future, in a competitive way, with different Ideas, unlike College Public School they have a mindset that education is the key to have a job etc. but don't really have a career goal. still or will depend on the Student/Person, or the way you raise you Children. Like in nursery period they always first ask what they wanted to be.

Read more

In the initial years between 1 and 3, kids learn and pick up most of the things from their home and surroundings and people with whom they spend their time with. So, it is important that you as a parent is a good influence on him. Overtime, you make a bad decision, lie, scold a helper, ill-treat an old person, remember, your child is observing and he will keep these things in his heart for the longest time. So, make sure, the initial teaching that we give him as a parent and the environment that we offer him, is good. And when the ground beneath his feet will be solid, no matter, you put him to a private school or not, he would grow up to be a person of great values.

Read more

I had a very poor foundation laid back than. Struggled with English and Chinese as I only spoke Hokkien in the past. Took me double the effort and was first in class during PSLE. I think I would be happier to have went to the enrichment class as I had very low self esteem as I tot I am always alone. A good head start definitely boost the kid's confidence. The key is to strike a balance. Work hard play hard.

Read more
VIP Member

I would say the preschool is important. The current preschool that my child is attending, their standards compared to other school, is considered pretty high. Their explaination is while the children at such young age are keen and interested in learning, they shld learn these tougher things. thus when they move on to primary school. the transition is easier

Read more
VIP Member

There is no need to place so much stress on the child. Let the child enjoy his childhood and teach him concepts through play. Build up his curiosity and let him ask as many questions as he wants. That way, he will be driven to learn by himself without the need for enrichment classes and expensive preschools.

Read more

I think a good preschool would be a better one to opt for. As these are the foundation years and it is not about what they make your kid do in context of writing. It is about the environment your kid is in during the initial days of her exposure to the outer world.

I believe a better head-start will definitely be an advantage to the child in future. However, we should place the child's happiness as number 1 priority. If we give too much stresses on the child's academic, he/she might get turn off.

please let the child grow at his own pace. there is no need for such stress. children are all bright naturally. come on they are kids!

thanks