Do u allow your helper to use the house wifi? My helper has requested for it and said she will only use it at night but I'm afraid she will also use it during the day.

14 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

It baffles me why anybody would not provide this basic benefit. And why is there an assumption that a helper can not practice any self control in this area?! My employers doesn't ban the use of phones while I am at work in an office, what's the difference? Especially being so far away from home, if they can use it to keep in contact with family, then great. If they over use it or their work suffers, then you speak to them like an adult and explain the issue.

Read more

I do not see any problem in her using the house wifi, (if it has an unlimited data plan) as long as she is not letting her work suffer. The best thing you can do, if you are allowing her to use wifi, make her sit and tell her that you do not mind her using the wifi, as long a she abides certain directions that you give her. For instance, if you want her to use Internet during particular hours, you can convey this to her that she can use it at night or for 3 hours a day.

Read more

Oh my maid doesn't own a phone. I thought we can disallow maids to have phones? In my opinion I will not give the maid my wifi, she wants a phone to use she can use her own data plan and stop using when quota is up. With wifi she can go online anytime she wants and for sure they will start to use their phones more and more. I prefer to choose maids who don't own phones

Read more

No my helper never had wifi, otherwise they will be on the entire time. Otherwise you can restrict her phone timings. For example, she getz her hp only after certain hours. Or data, in that way she pay for what she uses. That being said if you have a maid who is one in a milliom, id give it to her without a doubt. Like i said the rare breed helpers :)

Read more

never hesitated in giving her our wifi password as she is very responsible. for parents who are afraid it'll disrupt the work, can set router to only allow them to use at night. one golden rule, treat them as your family and respect them.. we do not know the feeling of working away from our family so it is really heartless to even limit their communication

Read more

You can allow her to use wifi only at certain allowed time. You can do that by configuring your router with password that will allow connection only at certain hours (or mac address if you have techie hubby ;)). Its a little bit techie but you can ask your hubbie if he is familiar

She can on weekends when the workload is lighter. Other than that, she has her own data so she browses whenever she wants to. I am okay with that as long as it does not interfere with her work.

i am sorry but i do not, as the free time she has she uses for resting. and i am not comfortable sharing my wifi password with anyone, so no.

yes we do, unfortunately she's now perpetually using her phone. sometimes when we call for her she ignores us. Not good when baby is otw...

My helper has her own data connection and she can browse once her work for the day is done, or when she's taking a break.