just to check, if ur kid get 197 for psle, will u advise ur kid to go neighbourhood Express stream or a better school but normal stream?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

With e score, i will go for NA. I believe u know whr ur child's standard is. Itz not so much abt how gd e sch is but how ur child is gonna cope when he enters sec1. In a so called gd sch, there is bound to be stress. I'm a tutor & hv heard many cases whr students r very stressed up. I hope that parents will go for wad is best for e child & not let our child enter a sch or stream based on our expectations. Every sch teaches e right values & morals and every sch has gd teachers. By the way, parents r supposed to teach their child morals & values, and not juz depend on e sch to teach all these. Teachers hv their jobs to do which is to teach well. Tis is a teacher's job which parents muz truly understand.

Read more

There is really no significant difference btn 197 and 200 which is the usually express stream score. I think I would ask my child which he/she prefers. There are other factors like distance from home, cca available, opportunities available and where friends are going. I dun think he will struggle much in express or normal acad. if u do choose to go na, some schools have the policy of upgrading to express if u score 70% or something like that for average at the EOY exams. I would go express and not waste the additional year. The gap from N level and O level is a bit big and some pple find it hard to bridge the gap due to different style of testing

Read more
VIP Member

To me , i m not that kind of parent who need perfect results because after all they will graduate one day with same certificate either O level or N level. But i will let my child decide whats good for him and not pressuurize him to go into a better school. I believe nowadays many neighbourhood school are doing well too. And if its 197 I can let my child try to enter express stream and if he do well he will be able to continue if not he will drop down to Normal stream , it all depend on the kid itself too. Some are able to cope some are not. And by judging on the PSLE marks wont tell much until the kid go for secondary education .

Read more
7y ago

Neighborhood schools also same

VIP Member

My question to my son would be, what would YOU choose and why? PSLE should be around 12 years old or so, they'll have their own idea about things they want to do and choices they have to make. Instead of advising which path to go to, it'll help more to let him know the difference between both options (eg. the number of years, the difference in academic level etc) and let him decide on his own. What school it is doesn't matter, neighborhood or good school, it's still a school!

Read more

I scored 207 for PSLE (my sisters were high flyer of 238 and 245). My mom asked me to go my sisters school as NA stream and I was super hurt by that remark. I ended up going to neighborhood express class. Graduated O’levels with L1R4 11 points. One of my sister, 10 points and another with 4 points. So neighborhood school is not always bad. Don’t demoralize your child with what you think is good. They will remember it for life..

Read more

I would choose to let him go express. Reason being , it is easier to maintain in the express stream than move up from normal academic to express stream. If child is a late bloomer like upper Sec, they will still have time to do well in olevels. If not they will have to do with nlevels which doesn't coincides with what their potential allows

Read more

Personally for me ill prefer for him to go to a better school. Im not too focused on the academic part, that is a bonus if he does well. Normal stream is less stressful for a kid, studies should not be everything. There is so much more for them to learn and studies is just one of it.

If that score of 197 enables your child to go to a normal stream in a good school, why not? If your child works hard, he/she can be channelled to express stream in Sec 2. An overall score of 70% and above for end of year exam will guarantee tht switch. My own personal experience 😊

VIP Member

I would go for express - would not want to waste one year!

thanks