Can anyone suggest home remedies for the common cold?

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

No. 1: Drink Up! Get plenty of fluids. It helps break up your congestion, makes your throat moist, and keeps you from getting dehydrated. Most people should drink at least eight to 10 8-ounce glasses of fluid every day. Need ideas for something to drink? Try water, sports drinks, herbal teas, fruit drinks, or ginger ale. Your mother's chicken soup might help, too! No. 2: Make It Steamy! You can loosen up your stuffy nose if you breathe in some steam. Hold your head over a pot of boiling water and breathe slowly through your nose. But be careful. Don't let the heat burn your nose. You can also get some relief with a humidifier in your bedroom. Also try to take in some moisture from a hot shower with the door closed. No. 3: Blow Your Nose It's better than sniffling mucus back into your head. But make sure you do it the right way. If you blow hard, you'll send germ-carrying phlegm back into your ear passages, which can lead to an earache. The best technique? Press a finger over one nostril while you blow gently to clear the other. No. 4: Use Saline Spray or Salt-Water Rinse Both can help break up the congestion in your nose. If you go the rinsing route, try this recipe: Mix 3 teaspoons of iodide-free salt and 1 teaspoon baking soda. Place in an airtight container. Add 1 teaspoon of this mixture to 8 ounces of lukewarm boiled or distilled water. Next, fill a bulb syringe with this solution (or use a Neti pot.) Lean your head over a basin and gently squirt the salt water into your nose. Hold one nostril closed by applying light finger pressure while squirting the mixture into the other nostril. Let it drain. Then treat the other nostril. Always use distilled, sterile, or previous boiled water when you make this solution. Otherwise you might get an infection. Also, rinse the bulb or Neti pot after each use and leave open to air dry. These are quite commonly used.

Read more
VIP Member

Aside from drinking a lot of warm water, it is a common practice in our family to do steaming for this ease congestion. We normally pour boiling water in a small pail and add some fresh mint leaves. Steaming is done by first--covering yourself inside a blanket along with the pail of freshly boiled water with mint leaves. Then, hold your head over the pail and breathe slowly through your nose. You can do this for 1-2 minutes. I won't advise though to practice this to toddlers to avoid accidents (e.g injuries/burns). You may also want to check this link for other cold remedies: http://www.everydayhealth.com/cold-and-flu/home-remedies.aspx

Read more
VIP Member

Lemon Honey drink is great for cold. Honey has fast healing properties which aids in building up our immunity to fight against virus and colds. If you have a congested nose and unable to sleep well, slice up half an onion and leave it near your bedside. Its believed that onion smell will open up your airways and clears up the mucus to aid in your breathing and giving you a good night rest Here are some of the other home remedies you can consider for your colds! http://pin.it/DnIQIAR Take care!!

Read more

Whenever I feel myself coming down with a cold, I take 2 panadol, eat 2 oranges and have a good rest and sleep! Normally I feel much better in the morning!

Chicken noodle soup, hands down the best thing anyone could eat when they're sick. Hot lemon juice with honey is perfect too.

thanks