Is feeling bloated after meals common in the first trimester?

I’m about 7 weeks in and have been feeling really bloated after each meal. Is it common? Anyone experience similar discomfort as well? Are there any home remedies or medications I can take to relieve the discomfort? Thank you for sharing!!

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Hi mama! Congratulations on your pregnancy! I would suggest eating small meals instead of full big meals to aid in better digestion. The hormone progesterone is currently in overdrive and it relaxes the smooth muscle in your digestive system. While this helps baby to receive more nutrients from the food you eat, it also causes feelings of bloated ness for mama. So small, well spaced meals would be advisable :) it might take away the discomfort too :)

Read more
3y ago

Ohhh thank you so much. This is really informative! Small meals it shall be.

Totally normal! I find ginger tea (there's no caffeine in ginger tea) to be helpful. A cup can make me burp quite a number of times and get rid of the bloatedness as well as heartburn.

3y ago

😊 Most welcome! Glad to be of help! I've tried a few types of ginger tea from supermarket but real homemade ginger tea is still the best! My husband would slice up the ginger and boil in just enough water for one cup, adding nothing else.

VIP Member

Yes:) Try to eat small and frequent meals so won’t get bloated compared 1 full meal. Sit up straight and have your meal, rest 30 mins then walk around 5-10mins . 😉

Read more

Yes! Bloat is common. For me, I drink sparkling water with lemon to burp it out 😊

3y ago

I tried this too!! The amount of wind/air burped out shocked me big time. Thanks for sharing

TapFluencer

small meals plus Japanese Green Tea 🍵for me