My bb is 3 months old but as a preemie, she is 6 weeks corrected age. Do you think she can take a sip of water to rinse her mouth after feeding? (Forgot to ask pd about it)

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I am of the thinking that babies can take a little water. I give my baby water since second month and she is fine. Of course we are not making them drink water like even 90% of the diet. Just a sip won't harm. We defintely can't give them too much but I don't see anything wrong with a sip. I know most PD will say no, in fact some pds I know of will say ok so it depends on you. Just like PD told me don't let baby sleep in electric cradle but my gal sleeps well in it and my nieces all slept in it and are fine.

Read more
8y ago

Thanks for the reassurance!

Hi, I think there is no need to give her water till six months if she is breastfeeding. Breastmilk has got all the nutrients and water that a baby requires. You probably feel this way because we cannot fathom a day without having water, so you feel the same for the baby. But trust, breastmilk has got enough water that a baby wants. But if you want to clean her mouth or gums, you can clean it with a wet cotton or wipe. http://wholesomebabyfood.momtastic.com/babyneedwater.htm

Read more

I don't give water to my LO. However what I do is to take a cotton wool, wet it with cooled down boil water and clean her gums and tongue every morning and evening.

8y ago

tell her it's good hygiene habits 😀

Is she on fm or bm? At 3 months old if she is on bm, there is no need for water. However you can try using a wet cloth and gently y clean her mouth.

8y ago

She is on bm. I also thought no need water but my mum insists to give, to rinse mouth.

VIP Member

Our baby had her first sip of water at exactly 6 months. What's the hurry? :)