feeding problem

Hi all, can i ask if anyone have the same issue as me? My baby is 6 months old now and we have started solids with her. However, she shows no interests in solid. Because feeding her milk is a problem also, the constant not wanting to open her mouth and crying is not helping either. Help!

6 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

Don't feel pressured into introducing solids just because LO turned 6 months old! It could be the simplest of reason that she's just not ready yet. Here are some things you should look at to see whether she's ready: 1) Able to sit unsupported by herself 2) Shows eagerness in food (eg. going after you when you're eating, making "mummum" movements with her mouth etc) 3) Hunger cues between milk feeds like sucking her thumb, biting/chewing on objects, being irritated for no reason etc. Just remember that milk is the main source of nutrients for LO until she's 1 years old, so before that, any form of solids are just "for fun" in a way - there's no need to rush into things :)

Read more
VIP Member

Some babies just start on solids later than others. I started my girl on solids around 6 months old too. But she was only really keen to eat solids around 8 months old. You can also join this fb group and ask other mummies whose LO are around the same age group as yours. I believe you’ll get different answers too. Different babies grow at different pace. Give her some time ◡̈

Read more
Post reply image

If you have just started solids, don't worry too much about baby not showing too much interest yet. Try giving her a small break of a few days and then reintroducing food to her. What did you give her first? Have you tried avocado? Let us know how it goes. Also, she could be teething which might be putting her off both solids and milk.

Read more
6y ago

We gave her grind brown rice with spinach. Tried the next day again and she didnt finish 1/4 of what was prepared :( We haven saw any signs of teeth yet though..

It will take time for the Little One to get used to solids. Keep trying and introducing new foods. Do make that you only introduce one new food at a time, and give a GAP of at least 3 days before you try something new. Make mealtimes happy times. Don’t let your frustration show. Good luck mummy 😊!

I had the same issue with son at that age. turned out he wasn't ready yet. so we backed off on the solids and only gave him once a day. it was trial and error, finding the right foods and right consistencies. stay with it, you'll get it right, I'm sure 😊

VIP Member

Dont worry mummy. They might not be ready at 6 months. look out for signs like showing interest in food and sitting up unassisted. It is okay to start later. Milk is the the main source