Cats

Hi, is it bad for newborns to be exposed to cats at home?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I have a cat at home and it’s totally fine. I have friends with multiple cats at home too when she was welcoming her newborn. Just because there’s a new member of the family doesn’t mean you need to abandon the cat. Toxoplasmosis which may cause deformities in babies will only be in cat poo if your cat eats uncooked food like wild birds etc. So if your cat is an indoor cat that eats canned food and kibbles there’s no such risk at all. For shedding of fur just try to go for regular grooming to prevent that and watch basic hygiene as usual - all will be well. It’s great for children to grow up with animals.

Read more

It's fine but best not to . Cause cats fur are very fine n they shed alot unless u get a air purifier . And cat poop best to clear it asap cause cats poop (only cats) have a kind of parasite .(tts y pregnant ladies cant touch or get scratch by cats ) cats are born with some kind of bacteria or wadever it is , in build in them .

Read more

Perhaps a good idea to introduce the cats from 6mo onwards, my babies were in contact with rabbits from 6mo, no issues, but not sure if cats are different

Allergies to pets are more towards cats than dogs Take caution and try to keep them slightly distant as we don’t know how really our pets will react

TapFluencer

People would have different opinions here. For me, I prefer not to have any pets when a newborn is around. Best to be safe

VIP Member

I think it should be fine. I didn't keep cats but friends with babies have so should be OK👌

Very subjective view.... I don't prefer house let's when having a baby ....because of fur.

Not for newborns but for pregnant mummies! Their urine is toxic esp to pregnant woman

I have 2 cats. Just make sure cats dont go really near and use a purifier at home

Keep newborns away from pets. Okay to introduce when the baby is a bit bigger.