Ask the Expert Series: Gentle and Positive Parenting During COVID-19! 👩🏻‍⚕️

Ask our expert Dr. Geraldine Tan about your questions on Gentle and Positive Parenting During COVID-19. Leave your questions below before the session on 25 November 2021 (Thursday)! 🤩

Ask the Expert Series: Gentle and Positive Parenting During COVID-19! 👩🏻‍⚕️
33 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi ms Geraldine, My 16 month old has never been out much. She loves outdoors and always stands at our door. However, I'm extremely cautious in bringing her out due to the pandemic. At the same time, I feel guilty for depriving her of her childhood experiences. She had never been to the playground even once and I long to bring her to indoor playgrounds but I'm afraid of the germs and viruses. How do I handle this situation?

Read more
2y ago

It is very normal to feel your anxiety. Let's be safe and look for spaces that are less crowded and you feel more at ease bringing her. Our fears may limit us. Be cautious and prep adequately, but be brave and explore a little too!Or you can also turn your household to a mini playground your child will enjoy!

Hi everyone and a very good evening! I'm Dr Geraldine and I'm here to help with some queries and worries that you have about parenting. I'll be here from 7-8 pm! So ask away and I'll reply as fast as I can!

2y ago

Good evening Dr. Geraldine! We are very excited to talk to you

My child seems to be isolating himself more since the pandemic, often saying that there’s nothing else to do. Should I be worried about the drop in energy and is this linked to depression?

2y ago

It is tough in this pandemic with all the restrictions and talk of staying at home especially in the initial days. Do explore activities to do together with your child and try to tap on your child’s interests to have more enagagement. Not all drop in energy may be due to depression hence do monitor the drop in energy. If low energy persists and coupled with other impairments in functioning and/or other depressive symptoms surface, eg changes in appetite and sleep, please speak to a professional who can guide you with the next steps.

VIP Member

hello Dr..My child is getting disappointed with the many changes in restrictions and sometimes throw tantrums when activities get cancelled. How do I manage his frustrations?

2y ago

Do acknowledge his frustrations. The change in routine and expectations can be frustrating. Talk about the frustration as a family as you have your own frustrations as a parent too. Then sit down together to explore alternatives to do.

VIP Member

I'm afraid to bring children out due to the covid situation. so are there any ways to keep my children engaged socially and doesn't impede their mental development? thank you

2y ago

You can try the following: - Organise weekly group zoom sessions for your child and his/her friends so that they can still have that social interaction element virtually.There are many other activities online to aid mental development that won't necessarily require social interaction - Join online community club activities online (some community clubs offer this!) - Set boundaries and allow your child to interact with their neighbours

With the pandemic, I find myself allowing my children to have more screen time. How much screen time is too much and how can I manage my child’s screen time?

2y ago

The screen has been a surrogate nanny for many during this period. We encourage no more than an hour at a stretch. Signs we need to look out for is would be irritability, social withdrawal and the inability to pull away from the device.  Do:- set and communicate boundaries- propose alternative activities- model appropriate behaviour eg no screen time during meals

With everyone being in the same space at home, it seems like more conflicts are happening between family members. How can we manage to be in the same space better?

2y ago

It is a good opportunity to learn about each other's needs and the amount of space that each of us require. Keep the communication channel open for each family member to articulate how each wants to be supported.

Hi Dr. Geraldine, can you share some tips on how to have a strong bond between me and my children especially during these difficult times?

2y ago

You can try the following: 1. Set a period of time for the family to gather every day/week 2. There are many different kinds of games/activities that can help stimulate cognitive development as well as strengthening bonds between one another - E.g. board games, console games, cooking together, etc. 3. Try to be more patient and understanding during these times towards one another as it is normal to expect changes in behaviour due to stress and others.

VIP Member

I feel torn between wanting to keep my family at home for fear of their health and wanting to enjoy the outdoors. How do I navigate this?

2y ago

Remember that you are in control of the preparation and choices that you make.

Since we are getting used to the new normal. Is it okay if I bring my child to the mall since they never experience it for a long time?

2y ago

The malls are taking all precautions to ensure that all the customers are safe and have a good shopping experience. As long as you are comfortable and feel ready to go to the mall, it should be quite safe to do so. Do remember to practice safety measures and good hygiene with your child.