Are there any home remedies to boost a toddlers hunger?

8 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

1. Figs: Dried or fresh, this fruit is a best home remedy to increase appetite. Dates also work the same way in enhancing an appetite. Both figs and dates are a part of weight gain diets and help stimulate appetite. Add a few to your salad to make it more interesting. 2. Lime/Lemon: Aromatic, light and delicious – lime juice consumed as it is or squeezed over fresh fruits or salads enhances the appetite. We do not need to enlist the several ways of consuming lime, do we? If in doubt on how to consume lime or lemon, simply make yourself some lemonade and drink up a glassful each morning. Add a dash of honey to enhance the taste and appease your taste buds. 3. Tamarind: Pulp of tamarind is a well known laxative and taste enhancer used in many south Indian dishes. Make sure you add plenty of it in your curries. The tamarind pulp also proves useful in improving the reduced appetite. 4. Garlic: Garlic, if used in the boiled form can improve your appetite greatly. The good thing is that it will also improve your oral health, as you will brush your teeth to get rid of that garlicky odor for sure! Two birds with one stone, eh? 5. Coriander: Coriander is a commonly used herb in most of the Indian cuisines (though, I dislike it with all my heart) as it is known to cure indigestion. You can also gulp down a glass of freshly prepared coriander juice on an empty stomach each morning. Coriander juice helps in the release of gastric enzymes which in turn improve appetite. 6. Black Pepper: Black pepper kernels ground in jaggery or taken with honey act as a taste stimulant. Black pepper helps in the secretion of gastric juices and the piperine present in it aids the absorption of important minerals by the body. 7. Carom Seeds: Carom seeds are another common ingredient used in Indian cooking. Carom or ‘ajwain’ taken with lukewarm water once a day will work wonders for your entire alimentary canal. Besides acting as an anti-flatulent and antacid, it also helps in the secretion of digestive enzymes that will naturally stimulate your hunger. 8. Ginger: It is perhaps the most widely used appetite stimulant. Ginger juice added to meals works wonders for a poor appetite. Besides, it also gives the added benefit of a strong immune and digestive system. You can also incorporate ginger as an ingredient in your ‘bhuna masala’ or simply chew an inch of ginger each morning. 9. Pomegranate Juice: Though this one is not one of my favorites, it surely has helped many regain a healthy appetite. This ruby-red fruit, loaded with antioxidants and vitamins, makes a great rejuvenating drink. It also enhances the appetite naturally. Fresh pomegranate juice with honey works wonders for those lacking appetite. 10. Healthier Habits: Last but not the least, healthy habits are the best way to win back that lost appetite. Gaining a better control over your daily routine can help tremendously in improving the reduced appetite. Sleep and awake on time, exercise regularly, drink lots of water, avoid too much snacking between the meals, follow proper meal times and think positive, are the key points to follow in order to gain back your lost appetite.

Read more

Here are some suggestions you can try: - Lemon juice: good for digestion and killing germs that may be present in the stomach - Ginger juice: aids in indigestion, nausea and loss of appetite. Try mixing 2 spoons of ginger juice, 3 spoons of lemon juice and 2 spoons of honey to improve the taste - Dried fruits and nuts: nuts such as cashew, almond, pistachios, walnuts may help boost appetite. Dried fruits such as dates and figs are believed to enhance appetite as well. - Green juice: Fresh mints, coriander greens seemed effecitive. Try making this: 3 parts mint juice, 2 parts coriander juice, few drops of lemon and ginger juice, some honey. - Fruits: papaya and pomegranate appeared to be appetite stimulant fruits Taken from: http://www.healthcarewell.com/5-home-remedies-to-boost-appetite-in-kids/

Read more

Appetite booster foods naturally helps to cure lack of appetite. It will help them to boost appetite at right time and also keep up good health. Here's my home fave! Lemon juice.... Lemon juice is a powerful detoxing agent. If you drink lemon juice to increase appetite it effectively works. Lack of appetite in kids may caused due to germs in the stomach. Giving a glass of lemon juice helps to kills all germs and flush out body wastes. This helps for good digestion also. It is one of the useful home remedies to boost appetite in kids.

Read more

I met some friends over Easter and one of them shared that she used cinammon to help increase her 2.5 year old's appetite. She said that cinammon contains a chemical (I googled this and its called ‘hydroxychalcone) which increases appetite. She would add a dash of cinnamon powder in the bread, pancakes, cakes, french toasts and pastries that she makes for her toddler. In Swedish, cinnamon bun (or kanelbullar) is a favourite national pastry and she would give her toddler small bites of this as well, in a bid to boost her appetite.

Read more
VIP Member

I've read that parents need not to worry if our child don't eat too much as toddlers go through phases like this - eating not much. This article posts a list of home remedies to increase/ boost a toddler's appetite and the many factors that causes such issue i.e. eating disorders, too much milk/ dairy products and unbalanced digestion. Read on: http://www.bumpsnbaby.com/increase-appetite-babies-toddlers-kids/ I'm surprised ginger is on the list! Not sure if they's like to try it though.

Read more

I have read that ginger and garlic boost appetite and it also add lots of flavour to food, making them tastier. So I add these two aromatics into almost all of the dishes I prepare for my kids. If not both, then at least one of them. I've also heard that cinnamon increases appetite. But I'm yet to try this.

Read more

Here are some foods that are thought to boost appetite: 1. pomegranate, apple and lemon juice. 2. Mint 3. orange and ginger 4. Green cardamom, fennel and cumin powder (small quantities) 5. Peach and papaya

Read more
VIP Member

To increase apettite, lemon works for me! Put in in his water like infused water. Or baked something with lemon, the smell will increase his apettite. Good luck!