Asking for a friend who's very concerned that her 1 month old daughter is quite hairy. Are there any home remedies you could use to reduce hair growth on the face, arms and legs?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

The hair that your friend observed could be lanugo hair. Lanugo hair is soft thin hair that fetuses grow while they are in the mother’s womb. Lanugo generally vanishes between 36 and 40 weeks of gestations. If this hair is still on the baby after birth, they will usually be rubbed off naturally after two to four weeks or by the fourth month (at the latest). Hence, it is better to leave the hair to fall off by itself. http://www.livestrong.com/article/202276-how-to-remove-lots-of-hair-on-a-newborn-baby/ Your friend should consult her doctor before trying any home treatments.

Read more

I agree with Hui Qun Ng. It could be just lanugo and it will shed away eventually. So there is no cause for alarm. Also some babies and children have more body hair than others and it will just grow out once they are a bit older. I would not try to do anything about it. And also, I don't think there is anything wrong with it actually. They look cute that way :-) Anyway, I would not try any home remedies as this would cause more damage than good. Hope this helps :-)

Read more

at this age most babies have a layer of baby hair that will eventually shed off. this is the hair that keeps their sensitive skin protected from immediately coming in touch with things that could make it dry. most babies shed off the by the 3rd or 4th month while some may take a little longer, so there is nothing to worry :)

Read more

Try to use the milk cream or your own milk on a piece of cotton and rub it on the area where there is excess hair. Keep doing it for a month or so, I am sure you will find some difference. If you start it early as the hair is so soft it can easily come out.

thanks