Are there any foods that can help in the process of weaning?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

To start the process, a good way would be by offering small amounts (one-two teaspoon) of mashed vegetables or fruit or cereal mixed with breast or infant milk after a milk feed. This is to introduce the idea of having solid food to the baby. After the baby is familiar with the idea of solid food, the mother can try having new tastes and textures e.g. different fruits and vegetables, custard, yogurt, pureed meat etc. The food should still have a soft smooth consistency, it is important to gradually introduce mashed and minced foods as well as purees. Soft finger foods like cooked pieces of vegetable or fruit, and cubes of cheese are a good option once the baby is able to hold things. Things to note would be that salt and sugar should not be added to weaning foods. Also, cow’s milk may not be suitable till the baby is at least 12 months old. For a list of suitable food, you can consider these: (taken from http://sg.theasianparent.com/baby-food-basics/) - Avacado: Avocados are full of essential fats and nutrients for your little one, including vitamins A, C, niacin and folate; and the minerals potassium, phosphorus, iron, magnesium and calcium. - Pears: Containing vitamins A, C and folate, and minerals such as potassium, phosphorus, magnesium and calcium, pears are an ideal first food for your baby. - Sweet potato: This vibrant orange yam is a super-food and is chock-full of vitamins such as vitamins A, C and folate, and minerals like potassium, selenium, magnesium and calcium. - Pumpkin: A strong favourite with babies, pumpkin is loaded with vitamin A and beta carotene, and is also a great source of potassium, protein and iron. - Banana: Another popular first food choice for babies, bananas contain vitamins A, C and folate, and minerals like potassium, selenium, magnesium and calcium. Here’s another great article that touches on preparing for the process of introducing solid food to your baby: http://sg.theasianparent.com/introducing-solid-food-to-your-baby-in-4-easy-steps/

Read more

From my experiences, try to feed baby when he/she is happy, i.e. not cranky or before nap times. Also, ensure baby is not full before feeding as they will reject food if they are having full tummy. In addition, try to let baby to eat in a baby high chair instead of feeding on your laps, to make it a habit for her/him to know it's meal time. At times, baby might refuse certain food. Try to stop offering it for maybe 1-2weeks before introducing again and baby might surprise you by loving the food. Try to introduce baby with different textures of food (lumpy, noodles, smooth and etc.) and colorful food e.g. purple carrot etc. to make him feel more interested in trying. I used baby led weaning for my 2nd baby and I find my no.2 is less picky in food compared to my no.1. Thus, you can try BLW method in weaning.

Read more
VIP Member

mashed vegetables like potato, sweet potato, carrot etc . are the best ways to start the weaning process. Start by giving small amount as baby might need time to adapt to the idea of having solids.

Mashed food items are the best ways. You can check this article out: https://www.theindusparent.com/weaning-foods

thanks