My 17 mo son is crying non stop. I'm in the process of weaning him with the help of my parents. I have very low milk production and he's getting frustrated and crying non stop. We are at our wits end. Any suggestions?

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Is he getting frustrated from the decreasing amount of milk that he is getting? You can consider supplementing with regular milk or supplement and gradually weaning him off. This may help reduce his anxiety. Children are used to routine and any suddenly changes will upset them as they still may not have the ability to understand what is happening. Routine comfort them as they could predict what is coming next. Hence, if you are weaning him and there is sudden change to his routine, he could feel flustered. Make the changes slowly and try adding formula or regular milk to his normal feeding to adapt him to the taste. This may help reduce the changes that he is facing and help him adapt better.

Read more

Agree with Jacq. Additionally, try to surround him with things that are comfortable or familiar (music he's been hearing since he was a newborn, a favourite blanket or toy), and try to talk to him and tell him what's going on. Try to have him eat lots also of regular food so he won't cry out of hunger. You can also distract him with trips to the park or by playing with a pet. Lastly, stay calm and hang in there! I will wean in a month's time and both my sister and sister-in-law said that the non-stop crying lasts for only 2 days then the child will get the message that mummy has no more milk or that he can't drink from mummy anymore.

Read more