Helper

Anyone with helper here. Can share how your helper manages baby, cooking and house work (just sweeping and laundry) alone while you are at work. I am going to return to work in April after my maternity leave and my helper keeps lamenting that she don't know how she's going to cope. By hearing that I am feeling worried also.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

It’s difficult to do everything alone.. even we as mums struggle. So, you’ll need to manage your expectations, and also help her plan the day. If you can feed your baby in the morning before work, then she can load up the washing machine, and sweep the floor. After you leave, her priority should be on caring for baby. See if you can get her easy to prepare ingredients, so she gets to eat her meals too. As for dinner, if you want her to cook, and your work doesn’t finish late, let her cook after you or your husband come home, and allow for less dishes. Teach her how to use the timer function on the rice cooker so that can be prepared way beforehand. If you’re willing to spend on kitchen tools that speed up food preparation, that would help greatly too. It would be dangerous if she spent hours in the kitchen preparing while your baby was left alone unattended. Your baby’s schedule would still be erratic at this point, and if she struggles to put baby to sleep/feed baby, then she’s left with even less time to cook dinner. At night, please let her sleep at a decent time too, so that she’s well rested to take care of baby and doesn’t fall sick.. her falling sick doesn’t benefit anyone. You and your husband can look after baby at night (you’d also want to, because you’ll miss your baby so much ☺️).

Read more
4y ago

Hi Cheryl thanks for your suggestions. I didn't expect much from her. I do understand it's tough to handle baby alone. Me and my my husband told her.. U don't worry much abt house work. Priority is baby... And our cooking is all simple.. If she can't cook dinner earlier.. Wait for me to be back then cook. I reach home at 5.30.. She can prepare the ingredients first. As for her night sleep.. All the while she have decent sleeping hours. Everyday she goes to bed at 9 pm. And she have nvr helped me during the night. I have been handling the baby since day one by myself at night. Fyi I did C-section. As I am concern abt Her well being also somehow I managed at night.

Super Mum

It's the opposite for me, my helper says she can handle by herself but I always feel bad about it. Your baby probably still sleeps a lot in the day so she can use those times to do the chores, though it probably will get more challenging once your baby is older and more active/sleeps less. I try to help with cooking by planning the whole week's meals in advance and shop for the ingredients in the weekends. If you reach home at 530 it should be enough time to start cooking then, but if it's really too hard I guess it's OK to eat out or order grab food once in a while? Baby is still priority. Anyway my helper can handle it just fine and my baby is a super active 14mo so yours should be fine 😁

Read more
4y ago

Hi Linh thanks for your reply. It's good that your helper is giving you the assurance. And you can have peace of mind at work. My helper knows LO will sleep during the day. But still she's feeling restless, lamenting... Maybe once she handle the real situation she will know how to manage.

My helper usually wake up earlier around 6 so she can help to prepare breakfast (me and hubby leaving at 7) and load the laundry. LO wake up time at 9 so she have ample time to clean hse. After that shes all on LO time. During the day when LO nap, she will continue with chores, until I rch home (abt 6) and I will take care of LO while she go cook dinner and wash up. But for your case, shouldn't be no problem as LO is still quite small and naps most of the time.

Read more
4y ago

Hi wind, thanks for your reply. I did advise her similar to what you have mention. I don't understand why she's being restless.

VIP Member

You can list down what you normally do. Note down estimated time for your baby’s sleeping & milk/meals/bathing schedule. Actually when she awake, can sweep n mop e floor first. If baby awake early eg 6.30am, then can do later abit. When baby is sleeping, she can quickly wash bottles/ sweeping/laundry /cooking etc She can Use baby’s sleeping time to do some work :)

Read more
4y ago

Hi Rae thanks for the suggestions.. I did advise her similar to what u have mention. Hopefully she can cope well.