Maternity Insurance and NIPT?

Hello! Can anyone advise how they handled NIPT/iGene screening at the same time as applying for maternity insurance? Cause NIPT usually done at 12 weeks and maternity insurance you can only apply at 13 weeks. I am afraid what if I get my results back before my insurance coverage is approved. Would I be barred from making a claim if turns out my baby has chromosomal abnormalities? Anyone have experience to share please?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Hi, from what I remember/experience, because of the timeline, you can’t apply the insurance before knowing your NIPT result. However, my insurance agent told me what’s important is you apply insurance before your anatomy scan at week 20. This way, if, touch wood, baby has anything not right visible at week 20 scan, it will be covered.

Read more
2w ago

I managed to apply before my NIPT results came out and they didn't require me to give my results! Recently had coverage approved and I will be reviewing NIPT results next week. Time was on my side!

Hi can you please share which maternity insurance is this ? I wasn’t aware there is such a thing. Thanks !

2w ago

You can ask your own insurance service provider if they have the policy or not.

Yeap, only 13weeks onwards then you can get the maternity insurance.

the insurance will require the results to apply anyway..

2w ago

nope they don't 😅 not the one I applied for anyway.