Baby gender

It annoys and hurts me so much each time my in-law family discuss about baby gender. This is my 3rd pregnancy with a boy and a miscarriage. It didn't come easy especially with PCOS conditions. Their family has been wanting a girl as the family didn't have any granddaughters. They can go the extend to say nasty stuff like.. "if this one also a boy, don't need to get anything for him. Just pass down all the stuff and use back the old ones can already." My mil even said "If this one is a boy, I won't go to hospital to visit." As if I can choose the baby gender, getting pregnant was already a problem, keeping the pregnancy healthy is also another worry. Always got to hear stuff comments from the in-law family. Sigh.

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Sorry to hear about this Momma. Going through pregnancy is already challenging enough, esp after PCOS. I’ve been through 2 laporatomies and 1 laporoscopy myself. Honestly, on a day when I’ve had enough, I’ll probably remark, “Is it because of your fam side genes...?!” Boy/ girl, the baby will be loved. Focus on getting your health well & stay happy. We can’t control what others speak of us/ our situation but we can do some things about it and guard our hearts. Most may sound v upsetting but it’s mostly due to insensitivity but harmlessness on their part. If it makes you uncomfortable, perhaps can speak to your hubs about it instead of keeping things in your heart. Spend a bit more time doing things that make your happy, since it’s already crazy busyness for a mom of 2 boys. Be kind to yourself. Cheering you on! 😉

Read more

I can understand that ☹. Husband's relatives always drop remarks to us about carrying on the family lineage (they forgot it's already year 2020) during CNY. The pressure to have a boy is real and however silly it sounds, I actually broke down when I found out I am having a girl. Everyday I worry about the comments my in-laws and those aunts of his would make when they know the first grandchild in the family is not a boy. Wished I know what to say to them. It's a lot of stress isn't it? We tried for a while before getting pregnant, and there's all these other uncontrollable & annoying things and people and comments to worry about.

Read more
VIP Member

Such a negative atmosphere! ☹️ How is your husband taking this? May be ask him to talk to them first. If that doesn't help either then you need to speak up. If you don't stay with them, don't go back to visit them. If they enquire why you aren't visiting them use the chance to express how hateful their comments are. Tell them "All I want is a healthy baby but to you guys seems like you only want a baby girl. I would rather stay at my place and be at peace rather than meeting you and be hurt" Such insensitive people need to be said on face.

Read more
VIP Member

I'm so sorry to hear this. I find it baffling that people, especially relatives would say that. By the way, it's the man/father that determines the sex of a baby depending on whether their sperm is carrying an X or Y chromosome. An X chromosome combines with the mother's X chromosome to make a baby girl (XX) and a Y chromosome will combine with the mother's to make a boy (XY). In any case, it's out of anyone's control. You'll raise strong and capable young men and you'll be a kinder and more respectful in-law to their spouses later 💕

Read more

U know what? Don’t visit them. Coz if it’s a girl, are they going to suddenly dote on u & ur daughter? That’s a absurd seriously. I know not visiting them is easier said than done. But u are pregnant, do urself a good favour & avoid negativities. It won’t do anybody good.

I am also mother of 2 boys (one is still in my tummy). My family in law don’t like me and also never support anything from pregnant until now. But I already ignored them and try all my best by myself.

Like what the other mummy mentioned, its the guy's sperm determine the bb gender. So just ignore those ignorant people. Most important is a healthy baby.

be strong... just ignore whtever they say...

sorry to hear :< stay strong mommy. ♡

Sorry you have to go through this.