Just ranting.... Hi mummies and daddies. Im getting crazy. I am currently staying with my in laws as my bto is not here yet. I have a 16 months old son and i am preg . I have to deal with a inconsiderate family members in the hse. My in law smokes in the house. Even with the bedroom door closed i can smell it so strongly. And so much other inconsiderate stuff they can all do. And who the hell will people place the lighter and cig under the reach for children... my son always pick up the lighter on the coffee table.. And when my son is sleeping. They do not know how to lower down the tv and phone volume its really loud can! And even morning 7am they can be very loud as well. I am a working mom. I have already tolerate for 3 years. Tried telling the in law not to smoke in the house as it is bad for baby but useless. The whole house is just so smelly as cig smell can stain on sofa etc. It is affecting me working as well with those inconsiderate acts. Hais. I do not know what to do but can just wait for my bto to arrive.

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I can totally relate to your situation as I been through it too. My PILs are very traditional thinking, who think they are the eldest so they can do whatever they want. My fil is a heavy smoker that causes his own children to have asthma and still claim he has the right to smoke in his own house. Sadly, there is nothing you can do much especially if your husband side his parents and complain or conflict between his parents and you might cause a stress on your marriage relationship which happens to my case. If your husband is supportive of you and the two of you are financially stable you might want to consider to rent a small apartment while waiting for your BTO. Nevertheless, I will recommend you to relax and close one eye for your own health and your unborn baby. Sometimes it is really hard to change the thought of the old people especially those who are stubborn, all keep thinking about it will only make your life even more stressful. I know it as I did it all: talking calmly, fighting and planning to move to my sis' house but to no avail, and worse end up with postnatal depressions due to constant fight with my husband and my PILs doing more stuff to make me realise who is the "boss in their house".

Read more
VIP Member

I'm pregnant with a 16mo too and I can't imagine the distress and misery you must be feeling in your situation. If it's within your budget, I'd highly recommend renting a small place for your peace of mind. HDB has a scheme to help new families with a temporary place while waiting for their flats to be completed. The rental is direct to HDB and ranges from $400-$900 per month depending on location for a 2-3 room flat. I hope this helps! https://www.hdb.gov.sg/cs/infoweb/residential/renting-a-flat/renting-from-hdb/parenthood-provisional-housing-schemepphs

Read more
3y ago

Aaaaand I just realised from the other comments that your post is from 3 years ago 🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️🤦🏻‍♀️ I hope you found a solution or at least happily staying in your new place now 💕

Hi mummy, for now we cant do anything because its their house. We cant tell them what is best if theyre doing that since then. Im staying with mil also. I feel you, finally our renovation starting soon and will move out after. Cant wait to live in my real home.

7y ago

God bless us!! 😭😍

Rent ?