My 9 months old baby coughing only in her sleep. Why?

11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Cough is generally due to mucus. Sometimes cough is also a symptom of asthma, allergies and cold if it is persistent & painful. Then it's better to concern doctor. Better use a humidifier to keep the baby room moist. For my baby, humidifier works well during nights.

VIP Member

Is she having any running nose or nose block? Is it only once or keep coughing? Baby this age get cough is usually related to nose. Maybe the air is dry, hence a bit of dry cough. If it's on going cough best to seek doc advise.

Read more

It could be back flow of mucus which causing the cough when she lie down. Else it could also be the so called "cold cough" which is because it's cold at night. Bring her for a check at the doctor or TCM.

VIP Member

She could have caught a cold & the back flow of her mucus is causing her discomfort whenever she's lying now. Bring her to a doctor for proper consultation & medication. Get well soon sweetie

VIP Member

Have you seen PD yet? Any medicines given? Could it be room or bed is dusty? Usually coughing gets worst at night when we are lying down straight. Do not offer pacifier when she is coughing.

Read more
8y ago

Why can't offer pacifier?

It could be backflow of mucus or choking on their saliva when they sleep. Can try a pillow to bring baby head higher to prevent backflow.

issit in air con? if yes maybe of dry air.. u can put a cup of water in the room and if u have a humidifier u can on it..

could it be due to air con? if so, a humidifier may be helpful! i will also put a cup of water in the air con room!

Use a pillow wedge to elevate the baby's head when sleeping. May help

It is better to bring the baby to get doctor check and advise