My 3yo son is obsessed with Peppa Pig. He doesn't even sit properly unless he watches it at least for an hour. If I don't put it on, he starts crying. What should I do?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

You must have set his television watching time, so at the time when he goes to watch television, you take out a wire of it and tell him that the television is not working. And if he happens to see on the laptop or iPad, switch off the Internet in advance and switch on the gadget and when it won't start tell him it is not working. But the catch is, do not tell him like a mother that it is not working. Tell him as if you too are obsessed with Peppa Pig and it is also a big sad news for you that the gadget is not working. Fret and pretend to cry that Oh! God what would you do now? Thump your foot in exasperation, and pretend to make calls to his dad or television guys that you are very angry and will tear the world in two pieces if Peppa Pig doesn't come. :) I think this will do the trick. Keep repeating the trick for a few days and soon he will get over it.

Read more

i agree that watching screen for an hour is too long for a kid, especially at your baby's age. why not let your baby eat while Peppe Pig is on, and then switch off the TV quietly and tell him that Peppa Pig has now gone to rest and sleep? i do this with my 3 year old as these days she is obsessed with Sofia the Princess. she watches it for about 20 minutes and then i switch it off, telling her that Sofia has gone to play or rest, depending on the time of day, she has actually started believing it ;)

Read more

If he is 3, you can always trick him into saying that television is not working and that someone told you that Peppa Pig has gone for holidays with his mum or shopping with his mum or is sleeping or anything that he would understand. You can introduce a new activity to him. May be playing with clay dough or something. He may like it and his obsession for Peppe Pig comes down.

Read more

He has become habituated to watching tv. You can easily by diverting his attention to something else. Just like the others have mentioned give him a reason that Peppa has gone to sleep or gone to school or better still that the television is not working. If the habit of watching any programme as an addiction is not broken it will lead to severe problems when he grows up.

Read more

Any habit formed takes time to break! Start gradually. Reduce the TV time. Tell him that meals are meant to be eaten with the family on dining table. Be consistent. Your child might cry and throw tantrums for a few days but eventually will get used to the new habit. You need to have patience though!

Read more