Why does my baby have jaundice and how long will it last?

4 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My baby no.1's jaundice lasted for 8 weeks as it is caused by breastfeeding jaundice, after PD ordered a liver test to ensure it is not caused by liver problem of my baby. PD advised me to continue to breastfeed my child often to flush out the toxic. Her jaundice was cleared without any phototherapy. For my 2nd baby, his jaundice level was very high, reading level at about 400 and was sent for phototherapy treatment for 3 days. PD from Mt. A commented that it could be caused by the food that I have consumed during pregnancy and I suspected it was the cordycerps that I have consumed.

Read more

A baby can develop jaundice when there is an excess of bilirubin in his blood. What is bilirubin? It’s a chemical produced during the breakdown of old red blood cells and newborn babies have higher levels of it because they have an access of oxygen-carrying red blood cells. Their livers are not well developed enough to metabolise the extra bilirubin. It depends on individual for the duration. Some takes 15 days to a month to clear. If it is taking too long, doctor will normally request to check blood for his liver function so to eliminate liver issues if any.

Read more
VIP Member

Jaundice is caused by the accumulation of pigment bilirubin, which breaks down red blood cells. Now, the liver, which is responsible for removing bilirubin from the body is immature in the babies. Hence, it is unable to remove the pigment properly and this is what causes jaundice. Major symptoms are yellow skin and white-ish eyes. This condition may last for about 15 days.

Read more

thanks