WHY do you breastfeed? Needing some motivation here cos my boy is coming 2 years old, below 25% percentile, low interest in food & wanna comfort latch which I give in to. I wanna carry on for as long as he wants to. Here's my skinny one :p

Post image
11 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
VIP Member

I plan to breastfeed baby for as long as I can produce milk. I aim to exclusively breastfeed for a minimum of 4 months. There are some studies that indicate weaning should occur at month 4 and not 6, as WHO suggests, but I am still studying that research and have not 100% made up my mind yet. Even if I start weaning early, I intend to complement my babies food intake with breastmilk for as Long as possible, hopefully till 2. Here are some research backed information for why I intend to breastfeed exclusively for a minimum of 4 months. Benefits of minimum 3 months: 1. The risk of ear infections is decreased by 50 percent. 2. A 27 percent decrease in the development of asthma, atopic dermatitis, and eczema. This protection increases to 42 percent in infants with a positive family history for these allergic conditions 3. a 30 percent decrease in type 1 diabetes and a reduction of 40 percent in the incidence of type 2 diabetes. 4. Higher IQ scores and higher teacher ratings vs babies on formula or mixed feeding. Benefits of minimum 4 months: 1. The risk of being hospitalized for a lower respiratory track infection (pneumonia, bronchitis) is reduced by 72 percent. Benefits of minimum 6 months: 1. The risk of ear infections is decreased by 63 percent. 2. A reduction of 20 percent in the risk of acute lymphocytic leukemia and 15 percent in the risk of acute myeloid leukemia. 3. If infants are breastfed at the time of their first exposure to gluten (around weaning), there is a 52 percent reduction in the risk of developing celiac disease. Benefits of more than 1 year: 1. 28 percent decreased risk in breast cancer and each additional year of breastfeeding results in an additional 4.3 percent reduction. 2. More likely to display better social adjustment when they begin school. Bonus reasons to keep breastfeeding: 1. Breastfeeding reduced the incidence of gastrointestinal infections by 64 percent, with the protection lasting for two months after breastfeeding is discontinued. 2. Breastfeeding confers a 38 percent reduction in the risk of sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) that is independent of the sleeping position of the infant. 3. There is a 31 percent reduction in the development of inflammatory bowel disease in breastfed children. 4. When breastfeeding of any duration had occurred, there was a 15 to 30 percent decrease in adolescent and adult obesity; the longer the breastfeeding, the more the reduction in overweight.

Read more

My child is coming to 3 and I'm still doing tanderm nursing. I believe giving what's best to the child to the best of my abilities. No interest in food?? Try some recipes online or just make food simple. Or let your child eat at the table with you. You would be surprised if your child eats more than usual. I bought my girl's favourite colour utensils and getting her to eat became not a problem. Weight issues can be genes related. If your spouse and you belongs to the skinny and tall, you child would probably take after both of you or either one of you. I believe that so long as my child is active, running around, living like a satisfied and happy child, I don't forsee any issue on development and growing.

Read more

There is not much literature about the benefits of extended breastfeeding, but a toddler sick with a cold or stomach bug may not feel like eating or drinking much, but she will often still nurse. Breastfeeding a sick child could help keep her hydrated and nourished and might help her recover faster. That's a gd enough reason for me to keep at it. :) your boy is super cute btw

Read more

I plan to breastfeed baby for as long as I can produce milk because i think as long as I and ma boy still enjoy the journey of breastfeeding, i may continue it. But after I speak to the doctor, he's not recomended that because our lil kid have to learn eat another food. So i suggest you to consultatiion with doctor. Fyi I use APP Halodoc to speak with doctor and they so helpfull!

Read more

Hi munmy, As long as you and your boy still enjoy the journey of breastfeeding, you may continue it. I weaned my boy off from bm at 2. He is also a very picky eater and drink very little milk. He is going to 3yo this coming mid may. Very petite..only 10kg. As long as he is healthy, size really doesnt matter. But as parents, yes...definitely worry about his growth.

Read more

With so many positives and virtually no negatives, breastfeeding is a great gift that keeps on giving. That being said, I understand that there are many mommies who want to breastfeed but are not able to due to certain reason. As long as there is love all round, all is well :)

Well i breastfed my second son till he was 3 yrs plus and pregnant with the fourth. But he still looks skinny tho now that he is on full solids and no milk. Now he is 4 yrs old.

Post reply image
VIP Member

I nv breastfeed long. But ur baby looks fine. Not skinny for sure.

The best thing to do is seek help from a doctor dear

Cute and active boy.