When do we start disciplining our kids? And what method is good? My baby is going to be 9 months. Is it too early?

5 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My gal is 9 months too and I have started to discipline her by telling her a firm No whenever she screams for fun or when she like to pull my hair or touch things she is not supposed to touch. I read that we can already start disciplining them at this age but they will not understand fully yet. They may understand that the tone is different but they will still need to be distracted in order for them not to continue with the bad behaviour. It is never too early to set in place rules and boundaries so I will say go ahead and staff disciplining now but don't expect that they will understand.

Read more

It never be too early as most of us talk and read story to baby during pregnancy. Also it can promote their focus and interest in book. Different stage got different book. Likewise for newborn they are encourage to give black/white pictures book as their vision only able to see b/w. Early stage story mostly are pictures and accompany with puppet. As for 9 month you can prepare those fabric book as they are teething now thus they tend to bite

Read more
VIP Member

You can discipline by being firm with them first.It's best to start from young. Secondly, whenever they do something wrong, be firm in your tone. You can consider using a certain facial expression when you are angry so they would know that mummy is angry without you having to raise the voice. After disciplining, it's best to explain and talk to your child to let her know why you are disciplining her for certain actions and all.

Read more

Yes, consistency will be good. If you keep your boundaries clear from a young age, they will grow to their surroundings as well. I wouldnt call that disciplining. I would say its more of enforcing the behaviour that we encourage.

I started disciplining my LO at 6 Mths old and surprisingly he understands