age to brush teeth

When should I get my kids to brush their teeth?

16 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Typically, by around 7 or 8 years old, a child would have developed sufficient dexterity and skills to brush his/her teeth independently. Before that, it is best for parents to continue to guide them to ensure that they do not miss out any areas within the mouth while brushing. As to when to start, usually, children at toddler age would want to do it on their own. My cousin did an “interest check” with my nephew soon after he past 2 years of age and was met with an enthusiastic “yes!”.

Read more

It's never too early when it comes to oral hygiene. When children are too young to brush their teeth, you will help them clean their teeth and mouth area for them. But as soon as your child is old enough to follow instructions and have a handle on his or her motor skills and coordination, he or she should be ready to brush his or her teeth alone or with little supervision. I reckon 3-4 would be a good age to let your child brush his or her teeth independently.

Read more

Hi, I would suggest to start from day 1, we clean her gums as part of a daily routine. we started using a pigeon brand baby toothbrush when she was around 6 months old. At about 1 plus year old when she could stand independently, we started using toothpaste and brushing teeth at the sink. She is 2.5 yo now and always insist on brushing the teeth herself, but I would follow up with a brush myself to make sure we cover all teeth.

Read more

Start as soon as possible! Even when baby has no teeth. I started doing it since baby been eating. Baby is now 5months old and i have started feeding baby. Also with using a damp cloth to wipe babies gums. That will help get the both of you in a routine and for baby to get into the habit of cleaning his gums and teeth eventually. Hope this helps.

Read more

hmmm for me, 3 to 4 years olds, when they are able to carry a cup of water, spit out the toothpaste instead of swallowing, and to brush them twice a day like an adult 👍🏻🤗

VIP Member

Start asap to get them used to it. I used s cloth to wipe the gums at the start, then transitioned to a soft silicone finger toothbrush when the first tooth grew

VIP Member

When the first tooth comes out, u can start using baby brush or wet cloth to clean the tooth. Oral care starts from early stage. :)

VIP Member

At 18 months you can start using a pea sized amount of low-fluoride toothpaste to brush your child's teeth

as soon as they have teeth. without teeth, i'll use a damp towel to clean