Biased or normal behaviour of MIL?

When we first got married, my hubby insisted that we stay near my in-laws who are retired so that they can help take care of our kids in future. My MIL also said that we should stay nearby. But one day, even before I got pregnant, my MIL suddenly said that she don’t want to take dare of my kids because she is tired and wants her “freedom”. But she was ok taking care of her daughter’s kids aka my sister in law’s kids. Even when my kids are sick now, my MIL also never offered to help out or do anything. My own mother who is still working had to take leave to help me out. Is it true that a daughter in law will never match up to a daughter? Feeling so tired and disheartened...

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

My MIL never had a daughter but she kept comparing myself with her other daughter-in-law. It’s really tiring emotionally especially that I live with her. A lot of things she say she’ll do but her words don’t match with her actions. When I’m not happy with what she’s doing, I usually just tell my husband to do the talking, cause I can be very mean if I were to confront my MIL instead 😅 There had been many times that me & husband got into an argument because of my MIL too.. But as long you still got your own family to support you to keep you sane, you’ll survive through the day :)

Read more
4y ago

I'm in the exact same boat as u! even after 3yrs living together, my husband and I still get into fights because of his parents...