When do you think that it is appropriate for a child to start reading the news? My son is turning 8 and is very keen on knowing what's happening around the world but I am afraid I may be risking him knowing too much at an early age - sex, violence, crimes, murder - isnt that too much gore for a child?

12 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

I think reading or listening to the news is good for your child, especially if he is showing interest in current affairs. Still, keep in mind your child’s level of maturity. Discuss and follow the news with your child so that you can find out what he knows about the current events that are taking place. From there, you can direct the discussion and reassure that he is safe from the violence happening in other parts of the world. If your child is someone who is more sensitive, limit watching news on television as the graphics and images usually have more impact that when being read or heard. Watch out for signs that your child may be affected. For example, children may start having nightmare or acting out aggressive behaviors. Talk to your child and address any concerns or fears he may have should that happen. Here is a useful article on this topic: http://www.pbs.org/parents/talkingwithkids/news/agebyage_3.html

Read more