Unhealthy lifestyle before knowing I was pregnant

I just found out I’m 8 weeks pregnant. It’s my first pregnancy and didn’t had much symptoms except for missed period. Prior to knowing I was pregnant, my lifestyle for the past 8 weeks was terrible. I drink, partied and smoke (not a heavy smoker) almost everyday. I’m also a sashimi lover. When I found out I was pregnant from a urine test, I immediately stopped all toxic lifestyle that could affect my child. However, I’m afraid it’s too late as I understand the first few months are the most crucial. Is there any test I should go through to check for deformities or birth defects? #firstbaby #pregnancy #advicepls

2 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Not to worry, but good that all have been stopped. I used to drink hard liquor everyday until I know I was pregnant with my 2nd. My doc says its fine since I have stopped drinking. For smoking and drinking, I used to have such lifestyle with my first born. Heavy smoker of 15 years and drink red wine almost everyday, but I stopped as soon as I knew I was pregnant and my first born is 7months old now, healthy lil boy.

Read more
2y ago

If you are worried then can consider taking Nipt test but it detects more of the chromosomes issues. Nipt is comprehensive as it is not just a Down syndrome test but it can also check other issue that may not appear at young age but happens when they grow. This includes intellectual disability, seizures etc. while First Trimester Screening or Oscar look at both Down syndrome and structural development issues of baby. If have budget can consider opt for both. You go read more about them first. But based on my history and my gynae, as long as we stopped as soon as we knew we are pregnant then the risk is lower.

Nah, dont worry! You should be fine. You’ll have to stop smoking, alcohol and sashimi for sure. You can still everything else, but just not these. No other raw food too. Book a gynae appt soon! Within first trimester, the doctor will conduct tests to help you check for defects. Go for these. 😊