Reading books to toddlers

When do you start reading stories or introduce books to your child? I bought some simple story books for my 3yo. However my in law seems unhappy with it. She said children can't really understand it yet. Am I being too pussy on my child by introducing books at this age? I just want him to get familiar with books and do something else besides than just playing whole day.

7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply
Super Mum

Definitely not too young for you to read stories to your child! The earlier the better! You’ll be surprise how much he comprehends. It’s a wonderful habit to start getting him familiar with books. It’s also a great way to spend quality time with your child! Be as animated as you can when reading. I’m sure your child will enjoy every bit of it.

Read more

it's good to start reading early with your kid. we have a routine every night since 1 yo where the little one picks out a couple of books and we all cuddle together in bed and daddy reads. he may not be able to read the words yet but it helps with creativity, comprehension and I use it for education (eg. going to school, hands are not for hitting)

Read more

Why would your in law be unhappy? Even if the kid can't understand it's a good bonding exercise, and 3yo is not too young; my nephew is happy pointing and shouting out animals in infant books before 2yo.

Lol I started reading to my son when he was 2 months old.. education is never wasted! Boomers say the darnest things sometimes..

We started reading to my LO right after she came home from the hospital. Please continue. Reading is a joy.

I started reading to my child when she is a few months old.. It is never too early!

Start reading for your child . Its a good bonding session .