Son is too active or the negligence of teachers?

My son is 9month old and I send him to an infant care centre since Jan 2019 (6month old at that point of time) He had the transition of knowing how to crawl when he was 8months old. Isit even normal that my son had three falls at the centre within two months? Who am i to blame? The negligence of the teachers or is it that my son was exploring too much that he tends to knock himself?

9 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Most Infant Care centre in Singapore are equipped with CCtvs/camera. Educarers and assistants are trained. Babies after 6 months old are very curious about their surrounding. What most parents didn't know or think of that their child can never do at home, babies can do it at the centre. At the centre, babies are encourage to be themselves. The open space cushion area are for them to move around and explore. Most of the centre do not placed their furniture near the area where the babies explore. It is always far. Unless the centre space is small or overcrowded. 1 educarer : 5 infants ECDA ruling. Very standard. Sometimes in the open space area, there are toys or wooden playpen. Some babies might crawled towards the toys and maybe while trying to grab the toys, they might bump into the toys themselves. There's also an area where babies can pulled themselves up. It is like a ballerina area with a mirror wall. Those area too, babies can bump themselves. Then there are also gym area in some centre. Rolling here there. Great tummy times for babies too. I am a parent and educarer myself thus I have seen many of these cases. Babies are loved very much at the centre. No child is allowed to be abused or torture.

Read more
VIP Member

Around that age, falling is normal. Bumps and bruises are a part of learning. Maybe gotta let our guards down awhile, and let them explore and learn themselves. My son recently started ifc, came back on the 3rd day with bruises all over the leg and even on the face. At first i myself thought they tortured him there, but after awhile i realised it is just my boy running around and the place and falling. Cant blame the teachers if they fall, cause 1:3, the teacher probably was busy at the same time when the incident happened.

Read more
Super Mum

Better to raise a concern to the teachers first. Ask them how they normally manage when the babies are crawling.. Not sure about your IFC ratio.. But ECDA requirement is 1:5... It is not easy for them.. To look after so many of them at the same time. Your baby wants to explore but his balancing skills is still not as strong so is understandable that he will fell down quite often.

Read more

Children are naturally curious yet unable to balance themselves when they start crawling but it is also the teachers responsibility to ensure the child does not injure themselves. You might want to raise your concern and speak to the person in charge of the centre. Give it awhile if you want to see any changes but if there isn't then you might to change centres.

Read more
VIP Member

Crawling to knock his heads are normal , but still they have to use a white foam to protect the areas that tend to be a prone for the kids to knock themselves against on. But falls mayb not for ur kid cos still crawling unless ur kid is trying to learn to walk then falls may be inevitable

VIP Member

Maybe you can try transfer him to a better infant care place since the person there does not pay much attention to the kids movement which I find it very dangerous and inappropriate. If it’s me I wouldn’t hope my kids to injure in any ways

It's a tough one. While the teachers should keep an eye on the kids at all times. A falling incident cannot really be blamed on the teacher, especially if you LO is an active one. Hope he is okay now, mummy.

1 : 5 really not easy. Even there are 9 children and 2 teachers. But if 1 teacher is away to change diaper = 1 teacher : 8children. Did teacher inform you or explain to you?

VIP Member

What did the teacher say of the fall? 3 times is a lot