When did your babies start to talk? What were their first few words?

15 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Your baby learns to talk during his first two years of life. Long before he utters his first word, he's learning the rules of language and how adults use it to communicate. He'll begin by using his tongue, lips, palate, and any emerging teeth to make sounds (cries at first, then "ooh's" and "ahh's" in the first month or two, and babbling shortly thereafter). Soon those sounds will become real words – "mama" and "dada" may slip out and bring tears to your eyes as early as 6 months. From then on, your baby will pick up more words from you and everyone else around him. And sometime between 18 months and 2 years, he'll begin to form two- to four-word sentences. As your baby makes mental, emotional, and behavioral leaps, he's increasingly able to use words to describe what he sees, hears, feels, thinks, and wants. My kids 1st few words were Mama, Papa and Jie Jie.

Read more
VIP Member

Mine actually said Mama a few weeks ago, but I'm pretty sure it was part of her babbling. She has also made sounds which resembled "parrot", "squirrel" and "papa". Of course, I'll only recognise her first actual word when she repeats it with meaning. :) Other than that, I'll treat it as babbling in preparation for the actual thing!

Read more

Babies start talking at different ages. Some are early talkers, while others take their time. Most babies start with the obvious words such as mama, dada, or baba. These are easy sounds for them to make. Sometimes they make these sounds even without knowing the real meaning of them.

Mine has been said "Mama" for a couple of weeks now! Especially if I put him down in his exersaucer and walked away, he will go "Mama" in his most pitiful voice as if I was never coming back. So adorbs! He's about 6 months when he started blabbering.

My baby's first word was "mama" when he was 6 months old. But he stopped saying that unless he cries for me. Usually he says "papa" and "mom mom". The best way to help your baby say his first word is by talking to him frequently.

The proud daddy here thinks my eldest daughter started sprouting 'pa pa' around 7months ;) But I think she really started to mean those words "papa, mama, haha" closer to 1 yr old

VIP Member

My baby starts talking when he was 8 months. His first word is 'da..da' probably he wanted to cal his father. Couldn't be prouder :")

Mama and dada are first few words. My daughter started to say word around 6-7 months and speak clearer around 10 - 11 months.

My tot started talking properly like a few months ago. I think she was about 16m.

Great essay if you don't want to do it yourself https://www.waywriting.com