What's your top tip for new dads?

25 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Dad and mum are a tag-team. Each other must be understanding. Make time with our family a priority especially for new dad.What you might regret is not having spent more time with your baby.You also will be more understanding for baby if spent more time with him/her. Babies give ‘cues’ or signals to what they need through their behaviour and body language. By really paying attention to your baby’s cues, over time you’ll learn how to work out what your baby needs. That is my top tips for new dads.

Read more

dads - the one thing i would say is that just as mothers go through post-natal anxiety and depression, similarly a lot of dads also go through teh same. if you feel very stressed and anxious, have trouble sleeping or eating, feel low and not interested in sex, or are going through sudden mood swings, it could be a case of post-natal depression. don't feel ashamed to talk about it to your doctor and definitely seek professional help.

Read more

Put your wife in top priority. You take care of her well and she takes care of baby in the healthiest state of mind. Block out any negative comments for her by reassuring her she is doing a great job and be on her side no matter what others say, voice out your stand in front of others if they try to impose their ideas on you. Trust that she is the baby's mother and she knows what's best. Offer advice only when asked.

Read more
VIP Member

I'm thankful that my husband is very hands-on and takes on an active role in taking care of our baby and house chores. My #1 advice would be to support the wife as much as possible. New mothers are usually a bunch of nerves and very hormonal. Be supportive and be prepared to get your hands dirty (diaper changing, cleaning up vomit etc)

Read more

don't feel guilty if you are not able to do as much as the mother is doing, or if you are not able to do things such as diaper change and so on. what you do for the baby, even if it is helping with preparing the formula, can be a big help and very very important. so don't underestimate what you do and enjoy the team work :)

Read more

Always be there for your family. Don't be an absentee husband and dad. Your "me" time will eventially come. Enjoy every stage of your child's growth. If able, allot a lunch-date or a dinner-date with the wife once a week. Thank me later.

Sleep or rest as much and whenever is possible. You need those rest so that you are able to make good judgment to take care of your wife and baby. If everyone not enough rest in the family, there will be a lot of quarrel.

Stay away from anger, analyze and understand before judging, spare quality time with your family and support them, and share the responsibility, there are more advices but I guess these are the main ones.

i think the one tip i will share is to remember that you are equally important, just as much as the mother. so be there and participate in your baby's initial weeks and months as much as you can.

Always be there for your wife and children. Help in household chores and taking care of your children. Reduce gathering such as drinking, billiards etc. You're no longer a bachelor. 😉