What's the difference between Braxton hicks contractions and real labour contractions?

28 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Braxton-Hicks are 'false labor', it is a way to practice contractions that get your body ready for your baby’s arrival. Signs you’re having Braxton-Hicks contractions include: -contractions that come and go -contractions that don’t get stronger or closer together -contractions that go away when you change position or empty your bladder Real contractions happen when your body releases a hormone called oxytocin, which stimulates your uterus to contract. You can tell that you’re in true labor when the contractions are evenly spaced (for example, five minutes apart), and the time between them gets shorter and shorter (three minutes apart, then two minutes, then one). Real contractions will also get more intense and painful over time.Some other signs when it is a real labour contractions: - You will see "bloody show", mucus plug drops out - You may feel like the baby has “dropped” lower in your belly - You may experience fluid leaking from your vagina (water breaks) http://www.healthline.com/health/pregnancy/braxton-hicks-contractions-vs-real-contractions#2 For me, I downloaded smartphone Apps e.g. contractions tracker to track my pain interval. When the contractions are evenly spaced and shorter intervals, I am ready to go to hospital for labour.

Read more