What will you do if you toddler throws a tantrum in public places?

10 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

Throwing a tantrum is a child's way to deal with a power struggle with his/her parents. I mean, tantrums usually occur when they don't get their way -- be it can't get a toy they want, they are tired and don't want to be out and about etc. In the past (and occasionally now), I've seen parents who'd simply walk away from their child when they are having a meltdown. The child will be screaming and rolling about, chasing after their parents. I think that is not right. The child is already in an extreme emotional state and to walk away from the child is, to me, a type of emotional abandonment, that the parents can't be bothered to deal with the child. I mean, I get the logic of it, but it doesn't make it right. I've also seen screaming matches between parent and child, and even physical things like pinching and slapping. Again these are all super wrong to me :/ It's just going to traumatise the child more. What I would do is to take the child to a quieter corner somewhere and let him continue with his tantrum. In that emotional state, especially for a child, there is no reasoning. Really, there's nothing to do in the moment that will make things better. Almost anything you try will make it worse. Wait it out (crying often tires them out) and once he chills out, then you can try talking and explaining.

Read more

Here’s a great article on this topic: http://sg.theasianparent.com/how-to-deal-with-a-tantrum-in-public/ The article suggests staying calm and not to be embarrassed by his/her behavior. Understand what is causing your child to act out, trying soothing him/her with soft words. Take your child to a private place to reason with him/her. After the episode, reassure your child that it is his/her behaviour that you do not like and that you still love him/her. It is never easy handling a screaming child in public. However, with time, your child will develop self-control (with your patience and guidance) . This will (hopefully) help prevent future outburst. Here is another article that offer some great suggestions on how to prevent public outburst: http://www.handinhandparenting.org/article/helping-children-with-tantrums-in-public/ It is suggested that staying connected with your child through eye contact, touch, and voice could help prevent your child from getting upset. When you see your child getting anxious or upset, try to find a way to play with him/her, making your child laugh can help relief any tension he/she is experiencing.

Read more
VIP Member

A toddler throwing a tantrum is quite common and there are many things you can do to control the situation: - Let them act out: With so much exposure and education, new parents feel giving in to the demands of children is perhaps the best form of parenting. It may not work when you head out and your child refuses to get up from the floor because he wants something. In such a case, learn to practice restrain and discipline. - Tell your child where you're taking him: Make sure you tell your child where you are headed to and that tantrums will not be tolerated. This way they are prepared for what's coming and they will know what is expected off them. - Don't yell or manhandle the child: By doing this you not only exhibit aggression, but also demean the child's self respect by insulting him inn public. The best thing is to quietly give him a little stare and verbally tell him that you do not approve of his behaviour.

Read more

Toddlers throw temper because they are usually frustrated with something they are unable to voice out OR simply because they are not able to get what they want. Whenever my 3yo have a meltdown in public, i will first talk to him sternly telling him do not make a fool out of himself. So many people is looking at him. If he still refuses to listen and continue lying down on the floor screaming, I will carry him to a quiet place or corner of a mall. Hug him tight and try to calm him down. From there, slowly talk to him what have happened. Try to get him answer you, slowly explain why and give them a big hug after that.. Slowly, it definitely takes alot of paitence.

Read more

Hui is very right when she says that you do not need to be embarrassed. What I would suggest is let the kid vent out and try not to lose your calm. The kid are smart enough and know exactly how to get things done their way. If you do not give in to their tantrums, they will automatically learn that tantrums have no effect on you and will stop in the future. Letting tantrums go on for a longer time once is way better than tantrums happening every other day. Also, as Deepshikha points out do not hit/insult your kid in public!!

Read more

Firstly, don’t feel embarrassed about public tantrums of your toddler. Stay calm and try to understand the cause, communication is the Key. Avoid screaming and shouting on your toddler. Lastly, it is essential to reassure your toddler after the entire tantrum is over that while you did not like his behaviour, you do love him because such episodes can actually frighten your toddler and he would need your reassurance.

Read more
TapFluencer

Throwing tantrums is another way to call your attention. Don’t give in and calmly stand your ground. Not giving attention will result to your kid stopping antics eventually

I usually just ask him to snap out of it and its worked for me so far lol

Give her a hug and reason with her thereafter

Dont give in to tantrum...