What's this white dot above my baby's lip? It's been there for a month.

Post image
7 Replies
 profile icon
Write a reply

This sounds like 'Milia'. These are small white bumps on the baby's face. They look like whiteheads, but they are small cysts filled with sebum and keratin (a type of protein that makes up the outer layer of skin as well as a person's hair and nails). Sometimes Milia are present in the gums. They are very common during the first few days of life and go away eventually without any treatment.​ I don't think there's any need to worry - it should go away soon! Of course, if you're still concerned should it stay for much longer, check with your paed - they know best!

Read more

It's Milia. Around half of all newborns are born with milia, which are small, hard, white spots covering the baby’s face. They form from oil glands and disappear on their own. They can be found on the baby’s gums and in their mouths, and are then referred to as Epstein pearls

VIP Member

cool thanks guys, my baby has it too, alwasy wondered what it was, thought was a tiny pimple ready to pop, great thing i never tried popping it...

Do not press it..if i not wrong they call it milk pimple..it will goes off by itself when bath u wipe it so etimes its dissapears.

Is your baby a newborn? My boy was born with that too. But it eventually cleared on its own.

Looks like a milia - which occurs when dead skin cells get trapped beneath the skin's surface

@ Teo Yi Li - yes my baby is only 2 months old.