We use Filipino more often than English at home. I’m thinking if I’d like my 1y/o to be English speaking, should I already ask my mom and others in the house to talk to her in English from now on? (Mother takes care of her as I work full-time M-F and I talk to baby in English whenever I’m at home).

2 Replies
 profile icon
Magsulat ng reply

Yes, those who take care and look after her should start speaking with her in English. It's going to be quite difficult for the child if people around him speak in different languages. While the child may understand both English and Filipino, he may struggle with speaking the language. He may get confused of which language to speak, which may cause speech problems. I've heard stories about kids not being able to start talking at the 'right age' because they seem to be confused with the language that they have to use. I'm from Cavite and my husband's from Pampanga. We both like our child to learn Tagalog, English and Kapampangan (although I don't speak their dialect). We decided Tagalog to be his primary language and slowly introduce English the traditional way. Like, teaching him the English words for each animal, etc. with the help of children's books and TV shows for kids like Baby First and Disney Junior. He's just 2 years old but once his speaking skills have been developed and we see that he is able to distinguish English and Tagalog languages well, my husband will slowly introduce him the Kapampangan dialect. By introducing each language/dialect slowly, we hope that it will help him develop his communication skills well while avoiding confusion or any speech problem.

Magbasa pa

Yes of course. It will be easier for the child to grasp the language easier and faster should the language is introduced earlier. It will definitely be helpful to the baby in future.

Magbasa pa